Gold metallic glaze or pearlescent tint?

Old 03-19-12, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gold metallic glaze or pearlescent tint?

Am trying to achieve a subtle gold effect with a faux finish in foyer. Have bought about 8 samples of different yellows from pale yellow to mustard yellow and tried using the metallic glaze on top with color ragging but it was too much gold. Someone told me to use metallic glaze as the base coat and use a glaze over it? All the websites seem to say there should be a base coat under the glaze... Also, maybe more subtle would be one of the BM pearlescent tints but i cant tell how to use them. Also over a base coat? Should base coat color be lighter or darker? Sorry so many questions but am clueless and just hoping to find a nice pale champagne type gold look for the foyer.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-12, 05:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Where are you getting your samples? While many paint depts don't have qualified help, most paint stores should be able to answer your questions and provide guidance. Since a glaze doesn't really have much hiding capabilities, what's under it will show [either the base caot, previous paint or raw drywall] I don't do much faux painting.

Old 03-20-12, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I havent been able to get much help from local BM store but the customer service at BM is pretty good. I think I am going to try using a lighter yellow as base and mixing latex glaze (clear) with the metallic glaze to see if i can lighten it up and tone it down. Before moving on toe pearlescent tint, which no one seems to talk about using online so maybe it isnt great?

Old 03-21-12, 04:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
There aren't a lot of folks that have experience with faux painting. As an apprentice I learned a little bit about graining, marbleizing and a few other faux painting techniques but haven't used those skills much since. When you don't use a learned skill, you don't have much chance to get better at it and often forget half of what you learned

I'm not sure I know what a pearlescent tint is but then I had never heard the term 'faux painting' until about 25 yrs after having been an apprentice painter