faux painting a steel door

Old 07-08-12, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
faux painting a steel door

I have a steel door which was previously painted with latex paint. I would like it to look like a narrow grained wood in a fruitwood stain. What supplies do I need and how do I accomplish the look. Do I need to strip the latex pain (white) or just clean it? What color base coat and stain? Is gel coat better. What tools would be preferable?
Than

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-12, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'm not sure stain on a steel door is real good idea. It works just ok on new fiberglass due to the nature of the substrate.

You might be better off with paint and using a graining tool to get the desired effect.

Do a undercoat of the color you want the exposed grain to look like...then after that has dried/cured...a topcoat of the final color you want. Use the graining tool to expose as much of the first coat as you desire. It will take some experimentation.

There are numerous hits if you do a search for "staining a steel door".

I am quite sure it will be much more maintenance intensive than paint though. Most likely yearly re-coating with poly. Even then..the stain will fade after a few years if it gets any sun.

Old 07-09-12, 05:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
Is this the interior side or exterior of the door? If exterior side, is it protected from the sun and rain? Like Vic, I don't believe it's a good idea to do a faux grain if the door is exposed to the elements.

There is not need to remove the existing paint, just sand and apply your base coat. Once dry you'd apply one or more tinted glaze coats to get the wood grain effect. I've never used a graining tool but it should make the job easier. Once the desired look is achieved you'd apply a coat or two of poly to protect it.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 07-09-12, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wood look on steel door

i am faux painting the interior side only. The exterior is painted and has held up well. One you tube video suggests metallic paint (yellow) followed by a fruitwood gel stain then poly to seal. Think I will try this