using brown paper bags or paper for walls in family room

Old 08-05-12, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
using brown paper bags or paper for walls in family room

I want to try something different in my family room. The walls are now covered with vinyl wall covering and the walls underneath are not in great shape. The guy who did our addition did a terrible job with spakling and that is why I decided to cover with vinyl covering years ago. Question....do I need to remove my vinyl covering or can I place the brown paper right over. I have read conflicting advice. Also, when I try to remove this brown paper off the walls at some point will the wall come down with the paper? I have read that it should come off in sheets. Can anyone give me advice? I actually did this method years ago on a clock ( far smaller than a room) and it really looked nice. I then used a off white stain and some shoe polish and it was a great look.

Thanks,

Furry

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-12, 04:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 50 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Generally speaking, you're going to get better results with the vinyl removed. If any of the paper rips off the drywall in the process, prime the exposed gypsum with Zinsser Gardz primer and then skim coat the walls smooth with joint compound.

Old 08-05-12, 08:11 PM
Brown-paper-bags-paper-walls-

Do you mean by vinyl wall covering, a vinyl wall paper? It's very hard to get a new wall(brown) paper with any adhesive stick on, since it is a vinyl.

However, some trade people have used a scoring tool. But, then the paper cuts could show up on the brown bags. It lifts small sections away from the surface. As far as removing the brown paper you should use a solution.

Old 08-10-12, 02:16 PM
paper bag wallpaper

Yes, it is vinyl wall covering. What would happen if I used paste that is used for vinyl to vinyl? Like if you hang a border over vinyl paper you use this stuff. Not using the right words but hope you understand what I am saying?

Thanks,

Furry

Old 08-10-12, 02:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 50 Posts
There's two issues here - the adherence of the paper to the vinyl and the adherence of the vinyl to the wall. If both are good, you get a good result. If either fail, the project fails. Remove the vinyl and you have eliminated a possible point of failure in your project.

Old 08-11-12, 06:44 AM
brown bagging your walls

Another question is .....when it comes time to remove the brown bag wall covering will it come off similar to wall paper or vinyl wall covering? I only use vinyl wall covering because the ease of removal. I am concerned if I put the bags directly on the walls that I will have a very hard time removing it at some point. Anyone know first hand how difficult it is to remove?

Thanks,

Furry

Old 08-11-12, 10:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
I always thought vinyl was harder to strip than some of the other types of paper. Generally if the wall is prepped right, any paper will remove ok. Stripping wall paper becomes a problem when the paper is either hung over bare walls or walls that only have flat latex paint on them. While I've heard of the paper bag process, I've never worked with any of it but would expect it would be fairly easy to strip.