Roller texture


Old 08-21-12, 04:59 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roller texture

My mother gutted a house and i've been doing most of the painting now. The workers that drywalled used a simple primer afterwards. I've been having issues with some of the walls becoming textured when they're painted with latex paint. I'm using a low nap roller but can't figure out why the walls are becoming so textured. The paint isn't too thick and is an eggshell or low gloss.

Additionally, i've repainted a large ceiling with similar results. I'm going to skim coat starting tomorrow to fix the ceiling, should i use a primer like Gardz afterwards or just a simple primer then flat ceiling paint again? I'm trying to get the ceiling smooth and maybe go after the walls that were painted and became textured.

My thoughts are the primer used was cheap or not appropriate for the drywall? i've never seen this happen and i'm not sure what's going on. we've tried different paint types and still the result is a textured appearance that i've never encountered.

thoughts? thanks in advance.

Last edited by stickshift; 08-22-12 at 06:19 AM.
Old 08-22-12, 06:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 47,840
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Welcome to the forums Dana!

Are you sure the drywall guys used a primer! I've painted a lot of new residential construction and have never had the drywall finishers apply any primer. Is it possible they thinned down some joint compound and rolled the wall with it to hide any defects in the finish? or maybe sprayed on an orange peel texture? Is/was there any sanding dust on the wall prior to priming/painting?

I've been having issues with some of the walls becoming textured when they're painted with latex paint
Would this show up in a pic?
Old 08-22-12, 06:22 AM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: WI/MN
Posts: 19,609
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
Dana: I moved your question into its own thread to increase visibility (and removed your comment about hijacking the thread where you added this )

Yes, a roller can add texture to a wall, it's called stipple. Just exactly what is the nap on the roller you're using?

Gardz would not be needed over joint compound, just a regular primer - Gardz is designed for sealing the gypsum in drywall when the paper is damaged before applying joint compound.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: