Faux Countertop finish

Old 02-14-14, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Faux Countertop finish

I'm just curious if anyone out there has used any of the brands of paint or finish whatever it may be considered to do their countertops or cabinets? It's just one of those things that seems too good to be true. I mean 50bucks to refinish what would cost you 10 times that to replace? I mean the videos I've seen don't look bad, but how well will it really hold up?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-14, 05:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
Are you referring to the counter top paints? IMO they are a bad idea! Formica by it's nature doesn't allow for great adhesion and any coating used won't be as tough as the formica. There are a few members that have used it and seem satisfied - hopefully they'll respond.

Old 02-15-14, 10:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
I can recall a couple of the people who did this and were happy with it said they used a Rustoleum product, but I don't recall what the actual name of it was.

Old 02-15-14, 10:50 AM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
I have one client who used it to resurface her counter tops. You can tell is was a brushed on product and not a factory applied surface. How consistent you are during the application will determine final results. Don't skimp on the prep either, any residual grease/oil/soaps left on the counter top will result in a poor bond. Hers was a tan'ish color and not white.

Old 02-15-14, 11:06 PM
Hmm.. thanks everyone. I was thinking about this as a short term solution, but now I'm thinking it will just be a huge time sink and waste of it at that.

Old 02-16-14, 05:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
I've always thought that the money spent to 'paint' a countertop would be better used by setting it aside to help pay for a new top later on.

Old 02-16-14, 03:48 PM
Yeah I wasn't even thinking about that. I was mainly just thinking that the amount of time spent "scratching" the surface and then painting it just wouldn't be worth the 6 months or so that you get out of it. That's why I was kinda hoping that someone would post something like.. OH I've had it for years and its fine. But, alas.. everyone seems to only be confirming my suspicion.