Aged Picture Frame Look

Old 05-26-14, 02:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aged Picture Frame Look

I am making a couple of large picture frames (4"x 1-1/4" frame pieces, assembled frames are 70" x 42") for a pair of mirrors in our master bath. The wood is poplar plus some off the rack white wood moldings that I am assembling to make a thicker decorative frame. I would like to put on an aged, darker wood finish that will hide the different types of wood and create an older, aged finish.

Any advice on how to do this?

Thanks!
Scott

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-14, 03:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
Welcome to the forums Scott!

A lot depends on the look you are going for. Some will paint several different colors on a piece and then sand thru them to expose the various colors underneath. You could also apply a crackle finish [where the top coat wrinkles up] There are a lot of faux finish products and techniques available today. Most any paint store should be able to help you.

Old 11-16-14, 10:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sounds like an interesting and ambitious project. Before you decide on your mouldings/appliques might I suggest checking out Bomar Composite Appliques.. they've an enormous selection of stainable, bendable, beautiful additions for picture and mirror frames.. just google them.

Making all the elements take a wood stain the same way may be too difficult. Might I suggest using wood colored paint such as the faux mahogany below.

Name:  antiquing_-_image_02_-_AD-5_Aged_Mahogany.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  42.6 KB

Pic from South of France Furniture Studios Blog. These guys are pros so don't tell you everything but you can see that a) the lighter of two wood toned paints is applied b) the darker complimentary wood color paint is done over top - allowing first coat to cure, not just dry c) Very lightly the parts of the frame which protrude the most have been sanded with very fine grit to allow a hint of the lighter first wood color to show though. This simulates normal wear as the high points would be rubbed the most in life d) a metallic gold paint (any good craft store) with a dry-extending medium added or just glaze added seems to have been rubbed on parts of the detail as though gilding had occurred and before paint has had a chance to set, rubbed off with a damp lint free cloth from the raised areas only. Or perhaps it was allowed to dry and then lightly sanded as in step "c". e) Important Step - a dark color paint mixed with glaze is rubbed over everything and mostly wiped right back off, allowing the dark to gather in the crevices and mimic the dirt which would have gathered over the years.

Obviously this takes practice so you might want to try using part of the technique only. Wood colored paints get it all looking like the same wood. Leave out the gold (hardest step) and just have a three tone aged wood look. Also use Floetrol or another brush mark eliminating additive when painting. Or get your paints put into a spray paint can or, even buy a small spraying kit for more even coverage.

I have stained a coat of primer before with nice results... that would get all the pieces to have the same wood look but you have no grain at all.

Many bloggers post step by step info on their projects so try using Google images or Pinterest images to first find things you'd like to emulate, then pin it down to a site with helpful instructions...

Was waiting for laundry to dry and seems I've written a novel - hope it helps and good luck!