Remove stubborn wall finishing?


Old 10-18-20, 01:20 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 3
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remove stubborn wall finishing?

Again not entirely sure this is where I should put this question, so please let me know if not.
The house we're moving into (built in 1968, renovated sometime after that) has this strange texturing added onto the walls in the dining room. It's very thick and raised, and has the look of brushed cement, or something similar? We tried sanding it off, to no avail. (Here's some pictures.)

Sanding, grinding, water, 2 different kinds of latex remover didn't work. It really seems like cement, but it's yellow and has flecks of something shiny, like fiberglass? Sorry, I'm kind of clueless about this stuff.

This part of the wall we ended up having to coat over to move in, but there's still three walls with this texturing. If anyone knows what this treatment is, or how to remove it without having to resort to coating the rest of the walls with drywall mud, please let me know!
Old 10-18-20, 02:13 PM
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 4,855
Received 83 Votes on 78 Posts
Just a Guess, Drylok.
UGL | DRYLOKŪ Masonry Products
Looks like there's been some mold issues going on there.
Old 10-19-20, 04:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 47,827
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Looks like it might be sand texture. If sanding/scraping doesn't work about the only option left would be to skim coat over it.
Old 10-19-20, 02:47 PM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: WI/MN
Posts: 19,609
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
I'm not sure how you think you're going to avoid drywall mud even if you get this mostly removed.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: