Picket fence questions

Old 02-09-04, 01:52 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Picket fence questions

I'm putting up a gothic style picket fence on the front side of my home. It will go from the corner of the house out to the street. I'm doing this primarily to keep my neighbors from driving on my lawn.

The fence is 3 1/2 feet tall. 4X4 posts seem like overkill. Should I use something smaller?

Should I concrete them in?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-04, 07:26 AM
slider
Visiting Guest
I've seen people use those landscape timbers that are flat on two sides but don't like the look when it's finished. I put up a 3' fence last summer and used 4x4.

I don't like concrete. Had too many posts rot off at the ground. My preference is gravel and dirt. The gravel helps keep it stable when dry weather draws the dirt away.

Old 02-10-04, 01:48 PM
Another option would be th use 1-5/8" metal posts (from a chain link fence) and cement them in. Simpson makes brackets to attach your rails to those posts. And they won't rot. Paint them to match the fence.

Old 02-10-04, 02:10 PM
One other thing. These 4X4 posts are going 3 feet deep. Movement should be limited even if I just use dirt?

I thought about using gravel the first foot, fill with sand and gravel the last foot?

Old 02-11-04, 07:18 AM
slider
Visiting Guest
If you're in an area where you get reasonable amounts of rainfall or you'll be watering the front, you might be okay with just dirt.

I'm not sure where you're located but it's surprising how much slop can develop in the fence line during long dry summers like we've had in Nebraska. I was in a hurry when I put mine up and didn't have any gravel handy so I didn't take my own advice and used only dirt; now I'm wishing I had taken the time to do it right.

Old 03-07-04, 06:50 PM
Fence

Contact your local building engineer regarding codes and specifications for fencing and fencing materials. Your local building engineer can supply you with information regarding frost lines and effects on fencing materials and specifications that are required in your area.

Old 03-08-04, 04:00 AM
I went ahead and used concrete. I said dirt, but in my area of Florida it's sand and it shifts. The fence is up and fairly solid.