warped post

Old 03-03-04, 01:15 PM
JRRR.
Visiting Guest
warped post

Has anyone had any luck straightening a warped CCA post.
I was thinking of using a couple of turnbuckles to tie it to a nearby post and turning the turnbuckles little by little every couple of days or so. I was thinking of wetting the warped post down while I am trying to straighten it. Any ideas? I really would like to try to straighten it before replacing. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-04, 11:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Your plan might work. If you DO get the post straightened, get the top rail on it ASAP to help keep it straight.

Old 03-04-04, 06:49 AM
slider
Visiting Guest
I'm a bit skeptical. You don't say where it's warped but let's say the curve begins half way up. If you just pull on the top of the post I'm afraid you'll just pull the whole post toward your anchor post. Then you'll have both a warped and a leaning post.

Is it square? If it's square, what about this...take another post or heavier piece of timber and clamp it to the warped post with bar clamps. Tighten your clamps periodically. You'll likely have better success if your straightener is heavier than your post so you don't just wind up with another warped piece of wood.

Old 03-04-04, 07:40 AM
Why not just replace the post? Fence posts aren't made from the best wood, and they're usually pretty green when you get them. Sounds like yours warped as it dried out. Even if you could rig a way to bend it straight, it would probably split. (Been there, tried that. )

Old 03-04-04, 07:44 AM
slider
Visiting Guest
That's what I'd do too, but you said you wanted to try straigtening it first. Certainly less hassle to just replace it.

Old 03-04-04, 08:04 PM
Like Slider and Dave, I'm a bit skeptical too. Hooking the warped post to just one post will probably leave you with 2 warped posts. If you can tie 3 or 4 posts together to use an an anchor to straighten the bent one, it MIGHT work. But then too, is the bent post SQUARE? Your choices are to TRY and straighten the bent post -- it'll take a week or two, but you'll know pretty quick if the plan is working -- or just bite the bullet and replace the post.

Old 03-05-04, 10:24 AM
JRRR.
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all your input. I am going to try to straighten the post first before replacement. The warp begins about 20" above ground level. I think I will use a 6X6 to clamp it to and some c clamps. Its worth a try. Thanks again-I will let you know how it worked out.

Old 03-05-04, 04:05 PM
You've got nothing to lose but a little bit of time if you try it. But if the post is a 4X4, u would use a 4X4 to clamp it to, rather than a 6X6. And I would use pipe clamps, rather than c-clamps.

You'll bend the post, no doubt about that. But will it stay straight once you get it there? I don't know!! S'pose the only way to find out is to try, and once you have it straight, build the fence. Use a long top rail (16' or 20', as needed) so that the top rail spans this post and the joints occur on top of the posts on either side of this one. And make sure you have fence boards nailed or screwed to the post as well, and maybe add a center rail -- anything to make it more difficult for this post to reassume it's bent position.

Old 03-05-04, 04:23 PM
If I weren't such an all around nice guy, I'd start a betting pool on whether this works. But I won't, 'cause nice guys wouldn't dream of betting $5 ................. without decent odds, anyway.

Old 03-05-04, 04:33 PM
Dave, I've 'donated' more dollars than I care to think about to the office football pool, but I'm not so sure I'ld want to get into this one!!

One better thought I had since my previous post -- if this warped post is a 4X4, use a 4X6, or 4X8 (or even larger) as the post you will straighten it to. The goal is to get the warped post to bend with deflecting your staightening post.

I'm just glad it'll never be a problem with the fence posts I put in. 2-3/8" pipe or slump block columns can't warp!!

Old 08-09-08, 09:11 PM
Straightening a warped 4x4 post

I know this is 4 years later since the original post, but I figured I might as well post my experience here as it might help someone in the future. I found this thread by googling "straighten warped 4x4"

I have a 3-year-old deck and one of the 4x4's have warped over time. It finally got to the point where I couldn't live with it any longer. I couldn't really replace it because it's a support post that's cemented into the ground and the joist is supported by a lag bolt.

Anyhow... here is how I've started to fix my warped 4x4 (complete with photos):

http://www.janicek.com/archives/2008...xing-the-deck/

I just completed this DIY project tonight, so I'm not sure how long I need to keep the 4x6 brace clamped to the 4x4. If anyone has any knowledge as to how long it takes to "unwarp" a warped Yellawood 4x4 post, I'm all ears.

Old 08-23-08, 04:59 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
JaniceK;

I have looked at your site where the description of repair was made...

Wow !

That was Very cool !

That is surely one for the books.