Removing old fence posts

Old 03-07-04, 01:27 PM
rhwhaite
Visiting Guest
Removing old fence posts

We have wooden fence posts that are set in a cement footer that goes all the around our yard. In a recent storm, a section of our fence was blown down and the old wooden post were broken off a couple of inches below the top of the cement footer.

The cement footer is about 14" wide and at least the same depth. We want to replace the post with metal posts. However, we are finding it difficult to remove what's left of the old wood post. We have tried several things and so far the best we can do is extremely slow. Just wondering if someone else had any good ideas.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-04, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It would save lots of time just to have someone come over with a small back-hoe. I had 5-12"x3 1/2' tubes of concrete and was wondering how to get rid of them myself. I had someone come over and had them all buried in the ground in a matter of a few minutes. But they were pulled out of the ground before the were buried, so there should not be a problem getting them out. Just a problem finding a home for them after you get them out. It cost $35, minimal expence considering what it would have taken to dig them out.

Old 03-07-04, 06:54 PM
Removing old fence posts

Costs for removal and disposal will vary from area to area in the country. The old foundations for fence posts will need to be removed, as indicated, and replaced as you plan to accommodate fence replacement. Shop around and find someone who will remove old fence post foundations and cart them off before beginning fence replacement/repair.

Old 04-13-08, 02:00 PM
old post removal

I have worked in the fence field for over 20 years. most of the time you find people do NOT want to pay the extra money to have the old post concrete to be removed. standardly wood post are set 8' apart, chain link on 10', aluminum iron on 6', ect. So if you want to save money, when replacing those broke post . Starting at the first good post stop 6-8" short of the 8' center and you miss the old post concrete and and then start back on 8' center and miss all old post setting. If you come to a corner you will need to remove all post concrete to go back in the exact same spot.

Old 05-05-08, 07:32 AM
Fencepro said something that makes sense if you want to save some money on removal. I have about 420 linear feet of fencing to replace. Posts are in concrete and 8' apart. Will try Fencepro's suggestion. If I stick to a 8 foot separation and use 4 " pickets, how many posts, rails, and pickets should I need? This is kind of new to me, but I guessed: 55 posts, 110 rails, and about 1200 pickets. This is certainly rough, and I know three gates will require additional materials. Any help appreciated.

Old 05-05-08, 09:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I've not tried, but seen advertised, a steel spike with a 3.5x3.5" collar on the top intended to install a replacement post by driving the spike down into to stub of the old post cut off flush whit the concrete.

Don't know if it would work for an entire fence, but might work well for a single post.

Perhaps someone here can identify the product.

Old 05-05-08, 10:00 AM

Perhaps this would work.

Old 05-05-08, 04:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Rental stores carry mini jack hammers. They are hand held versions that look like hammerdrills on steroids. Hilti makes an excellent product. With an appropriate attachment, you can make small work of the concrete around the couple of posts you need to replace.

http://www.us.hilti.com/holus/module...jsp?OID=-12013

Plus they are fun to use

Cost about $50 per day to rent, may be less for a 4 hr rental.

Old 05-05-08, 05:00 PM
Did a poster have a question, because this thread is over 4 years old...

Old 05-05-08, 06:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Good catch Mark, what a PITA........

Old 05-06-08, 05:07 AM
I had a question, posted at 11:32 yesterday, May 5th. Still would appreciate any advice/comments about materials to use, quantity, installation. Thanks.

Old 05-06-08, 05:24 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Phil's Question

Phil,
How much space between each of your pickets? 4 inch pickets will be approx. 3 1/2 inches wide. I calculate 1200 pickets would need 3/4 inch space to be sufficiient for 420 feet of fence.

Old 05-06-08, 01:47 PM
Thanks Ken. Will use about 3 eighths inch spacing between pickets. Appreciate your help, Phil.

Old 05-06-08, 03:02 PM
Here's a good fence materials calculator. You can plug in your distances and it will spit out the materials.

http://www.hooverfence.com/forms/woodcalc.htm

Old 05-06-08, 05:19 PM
Thanks Mark. Super help!!

Old 08-10-08, 10:34 AM
Unfortunately, I had to remove a few old posts on my old fence, and really, the only way I found to do it is to just dig them up. I got a pick axe and a shovel and went to town. Yeah, it was tough. But I couldn't afford to hire someone to bring in a backhoe to do the job. So it was just grit and determination. One hole gave me so much trouble that I had to borrow my neighbor's sledgehammer and "sledge" it to death. But hey, it worked. To get rid of them, I just dumped them one at a time in our trashcan which went out with the weekly trash pickup. Five weeks later, job done.