Wood Fence - Metal posts

Old 03-10-04, 06:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wood Fence - Metal posts

Hi - I would like to install a 6' privacy wood fence - a suggestion
was made to use chain link metal fence posts with simpson clamps to attach the stockade to the posts would be wisest. I live in Long Island NY, would you agree with this approach? How deep should the posts be? Should I put gravel before concrete? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Regards,
Sean

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-04, 06:45 PM
By all means, use metal posts. I replaced several rotted-out 4x4 redwood posts using the larger 2 1/2 inch galvanized posts, 8 feet long.

Get the hardware you'll need to mount your rails, and don't forget to get a cap for each post.

Dig a hole 2 feet deep and about 10 inches in diameter. I didn't use any rocks at the bottom. Drop in a bag of "waterless" post mix (you DO use water, you just don't have to mix it before pouring - read the instructions) and in a couple of minutes it will set up hard enough that the post will stand by itself. Make sure it's level before the concrete sets!

Some folks make the mistake of sticking the 2-inch post into a 6-inch hole. That's just not going to provide enough rigidity for you, especially at the corners and gate posts.

Wait a day for the stuff to set hard, then go to it with the wood! And forget about having to replace the posts in 15 years!!

Old 03-10-04, 07:44 PM
Like Pipsisiwah said -- use the metal posts. Guaranteed they won't rot in 10 or 15 years like a wood post will!!

Rocks in the bottom of the hole aren't needed. Drainage isn't an issue.

Old 03-11-04, 07:49 AM
what is a simpson clamp?????????

Old 03-11-04, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the advice guys - the clamp I made mentioned to basically connect from the metal to wood with a clamp.

http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/pgt.html

Old 03-11-04, 10:58 AM
Simpson Strong Tie makes the hardware you'll nned to attach the rails to the metal posts. The PGT1.5 is for 1-7/8" posts, the PGT2 is for 2-3/8" posts. They also have the brackets needed for a corner. (PGTIC2)

Old 08-21-04, 06:32 PM
jbentley
Visiting Guest
What about the gates.. How do you attach gates to the metal posts...? Any insite or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-25-04, 04:08 PM
Standard chain link hardware for the hinges and latches. I use metal gate frames -- never had one sag yet!!