Privacy fence

Old 03-23-04, 06:21 AM
mrstalley01
Visiting Guest
Question Privacy fence

I want to put up a privacy fence using wood panels. Where do I start?

Old 03-23-04, 06:47 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If the fence will be on (or near) the property line, you should ask the local building department about the rules for location, height, etc. Around here, fences are located on the property line and both neighbors are responsible for their maintenance, repair, and eventual replacement. There are also specific rules about fencing on corner lots so visibility at intersections isn't blocked.

Another possible issue would be using solid panels. If you get much wind, you're subjecting the fence to some pretty high loads which may require larger posts.

Old 03-24-04, 06:46 AM
slider
Visiting Guest
Another thing to consider is where your utilities run. I used to live on a corner lot and the utilities ran down one side and along the back. My neighbor gave me some static when I set my fence back to allow room just in case but I had the last laugh when a few years later the cable company came through laying fiber and everyone else was tearing down their fences to make way.

Old 03-24-04, 03:25 PM
Good point, Slider. (and to think I used to work in that business )

Most cities have a Public Utility Easement (PUE) on all sides of a piece of property. Permanent structures can't encroach in the PUE without a variance and if you don't have one, you may have to tear your structure down.

When/If you build in the easement, call for a locate so all utilities can come to the jobsite and mark their stuff. If you tear something up and didn't call for a locate, you're in deep doo-doo.

Old 03-26-04, 09:58 PM
L
The utility locating service is free, and so is their phone number!!. (What it's CALLED depends on where you're at!!) Around here (No. CA and Nevada) it called Underground Service Alert (USA). You call, they locate. Then, IF you happen to hit a line, the owner of the line fixes it, AND YOU ARE OFF THE HOOK!! But don't call and hit a line -- BIG BUCKS, and every single one of them is out of YOUR pocket!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: