Wood Fence METAL Poles - Please Help

Old 03-24-04, 08:45 AM
brigont
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Wood Fence METAL Poles - Please Help

Hello all,

I was watching HGTV yesterday and noticed someone had installed a wood fence (6' privacy) on metal poles rather than using the wood poles. The fencing material was attached to the metal poles (ala your typical link fence) via some type of strapping.

I like the idea because it limits the contact between wood and earth.

Q1. Has anyone done this before and can provide advice for or against this approch

Q2. It appears that someone could strap the fence to the poles, place the assembled structure in the ground, pour the concrete, and then level/plumb the entire structure (using some blocks underneath the fence to level... Is this silly or a good way of setting the fence/poles into the concrete.

Q3. My fence will be about 20' straight with no side supports... any concerns about this approach?

thanks in advance for your help.

Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-04, 09:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I gave up setting wood posts in the ground years ago. They rot, and you are replacing the fence every 10 to 15 years. Metal posts work well. Simpson Strong Tie makes 2 different sizes of brackets (the "strapping" that you are referring to). Their PGT2 is for 2-3/8" O.D. pipe, and their PGT1.5 is for 1-7/8" O.D. pipe.

I would set the posts first, allow the concrete to set up for a day or so, THEN install the fence panels. It would be just my luck that a big wind would come up and blow the whole thing over if I tried installing the fence as a pre-assembled unit.

Old 04-15-04, 08:24 PM
cwillyrun
Visiting Guest
Anymore, it is pretty rare that any new wood fence in our town is installed with wooden posts. Check out your local Home Depot or their website for the posts and brackets for such a set-up. It's really easy! Watch out for curious neighbors. Years ago, I was the first to put in such a fence in our neighborhood. I had a lot of neighbors ask what I was up to. I later found out they were all worried that I was putting in a large chain-link fence and getting some big dogs. Ha-ha-ha!

Old 04-15-04, 10:21 PM
cwillyrun,

About the only ones putting up wood fences with wood posts around here anymore are the homeowners replacing what they had. The smart ones are using metal posts, and attaching the wood fence to that. The City has gone overboard with their requirements in the new subdivisions. Those posts have to be slump block columns, with wood panels in between, or the fence has to be totally masonary. I understand their logic, but oh, THE COST!!

Old 03-21-08, 12:56 PM
how far apart

So how far apart do u put the posts and do you put the posts between the fence panels??

Old 03-22-08, 05:04 AM
Navonod420,

I don't use prebuilt fence panels, if that's what you're referring to.

I set the metal posts about 7-1/2' apart (or slightly less -- NEVER MORE!) and attach 16' rails to them.

Depends on what you want it to look like from the rail side.

You can let the rail run past the post at each end and start the next 16' rail above or below, or you can have the joint in the rail occur at the center of the post -- trim the end off of the rail.

Once the rails are in place, attach the fence boards.

Old 03-30-08, 08:25 PM
Lefty,

Why don't you use pre-built panels?

Also, why are they more inexpensive than the sum of their parts? The ones at Lowes have three rails per panel, and they don't look cheap - but I have no idea what I am talking about of course!

Old 03-30-08, 08:45 PM
I'll chime in about the pre-fab. These are made with the lumber nobody would buy if they selected it personally from the stack. Your fence is only so good as the crummiest board. Of course if someone else assembles the parts you're going to pay more than just the material cost. And construction of these panels has been tweeked by economy of scale, such that they are made at the absolute minimum cost, naturally. On the other hand, a DIYer will spend a few extra bucks on better fasteners and more of them. A DIYer will buy a few extra boards, planning to reject a few bad boards.

Old 03-31-08, 09:11 PM
stormdog74,

Why don't I use pre-fabbed panels??

Let me count the reasons.

First, I have no control over the quality of the material. (That's been mentioned, and my customers don't want me slapping up whatever's CHEAP!)

Next, there's virtually no way to adjust for changes in the slope of the ground. If there's a 3" or 4" difference in the 8 ft. from one post to the next, I CAN adjust for that with a site made fence. Just TRY ITwith a pre-fabbed panel!!

Then, your post spacing has to be ABSOLUTELY perfect when you use panels. One rock the size of a bowling ball that's 12" underground is going to mess EVERYTHING up for you!

Old 04-01-08, 04:09 AM
Thanks, Kobuchi and Lefty - that makes a lot of sense.