Cedar Fence Post & Concrete Wall

Old 03-28-04, 12:46 PM
flashgordonhk
Visiting Guest
Post Cedar Fence Post & Concrete Wall

I have an existing 6 inch conrete retaining wall and want to build a cedar fence with 4X6 cedar posts, but am having trouble finding a way to fasten it to the wall.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-04, 02:39 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Jason. Welcome to the Do It Yourself web site.

If "Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated" is welcomed, here is "My 2 Cents."

Something like a toggle bolt or internal expanding bolt can be used. Assuming the wall is not solid cement. If so. Than a lug can be used, into which a bolt can be threaded into.

A quick trip to a building materials supply yard should produce the fastners needed. Drilling will be required. The correct mansonary bit will be required also to drill the holes.

I am not the pro in this forum nor with fences. Suggestions provided as help only. Hope I have helped some while I surf the site....

Web Site Host & Forums Monitor

Old 03-29-04, 01:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Jason,

Anchoring the posts to the top of the wall, as suggested, will get the fence up, but it will be a weak joint. A strong wind could take the fence down, or, if the anchors held, MIGHT take the retaining wall down (or at least weaken it).

If possible, install the fence posts in the ground, behind the retaining wall.

Old 03-29-04, 10:02 AM
flashgordonhk
Visiting Guest
We actually just built the wall and used #4 and #5 Reebar with 12 inch seperation and anchored to a concrete slab and we are talking about a 25 foot section of fence. If I bury the posts in the dirt they wont be on my property since the wall is on the property line.

I was trying to figure out a way to drill into the concrete as well as have a bracket that wraps down the backside of the wall to add more support.

Thanks for all of your help though.

Jason

Old 03-29-04, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A core drill would cut the holes in the concrete, IF you can miss the rebar. But I have strong reservations about telling you to do it. The holes will weaken the retaining wall, and a fence sitting on top of it is going to be a big sail. If you can't put the fence in the dirt behind the retaining wall, then core drilling the holes in the slab in front of the wall and putting the fence there would be a better option. Or, even if it's not on your property, your neighbor might be willing to let you install the fence on his property. Since the retaining wall is on the property line, a fence above it would be to his advantage -- that is one large step at the edge of his property!! I can envision all kinds of liability issues, for both of you, if somebody falls off the top of the wall onto your slab.