Help with Noise Barrier Fencing

Old 03-31-04, 05:41 AM
dwdukes
Visiting Guest
Help with Noise Barrier Fencing

Has anyone built a highway noise barrier?

I live near a highway and am researching best way to build a noise barrier. Obviously this could be very expensive! I could potentially build a berm, but another idea is build a tongue/groove fencing and lining one side with audio seal matting. Fence will need to be 10' to eliminate line-of-sight, about 150-175 yds in length.

Has anyone tried something like this before?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-04, 10:05 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You're right -- it IS going to be expensive.

At 10 feet high, it has to be engineered. So start with a Civil Engineer and go from there.

This is WAY beyond a DIY project!!

Old 04-02-04, 04:05 AM
What we did to reduce noise from the highway was to plant evergreens, cryptomeria, to absorb the noise.

Old 04-02-04, 06:27 PM
There you go Chris -- didn't have to have it engineered, did you??

Old 04-02-04, 06:53 PM
Trees keep out both the noise and the engineers. They are reasonably priced, self-stabilizing and self-erecting; don't require paint or galvanizing.

Old 04-02-04, 08:39 PM
So dwdukes,

WELCOME to DoItYourself.com!!

I think the trees win. They will do as much for you as far as reducing noise as a 10' high block wall will. The trees are MUCH cheaper to install (plant), but the on-going maintenance (water) will indeed be more. The trees will drop leaves, which you can then compost. (Don't try composting ANYTHING that falls off of a block wall!!)

So Chris and I have had our fun with you, and hopefully we got at least a SMILE from you!

Seriously, installing 10' tall block walls as a sound wall along a roadway IS the City's or the County's (or the State's) thing. I can see a wall like that costing about $100/ft.!!! And you could only build it along that portion of the road that your property abuts to. Unless ALL of your neighbors were to build the same wall, I just don't see where one little stretch of it will do much to abate the noise.