Retaining wall advice

Old 04-13-04, 08:52 PM
dinosoar
Visiting Guest
Retaining wall advice

I would like to install a retaining wall to hold up the earth in the accompanying photos. Was planning to use 2 x 6's (or whatever size they actually are) attached to fence posts, but any advice/recommendation would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-04, 04:20 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
dinosoar,

First, the pictures. Obviously you can't just attach them -- it doesn't work that way here. Post them on a personal website, like Yahoo!, Photobucket, Angelfire, etc., then post the URL to that site so we can see them.

Putting wood in contact with earth is a waste of wood, and your time. In 10 to 15 years it will rot, and you'll be doing it again.

A more permanent solution is to use the Keystone blocks that are designed to be used as a short retaining wall. You'll find them at any of the big box stores, lumber yards, or masonary supplies near you.

How high? If it's over 48", it has to be engineered -- at least that's what's enforced around here. If you are looking at over 36", I would suggest that you ask the local bldg. dept., BEFORE you build it, just to be on the safe side.

Old 04-14-04, 09:14 PM
dinosoar
Visiting Guest
lefty,

So THAT'S why I couldn't post the pictures!

Well, I'll have to fix that. As for the blocks you talked about, I do know about them, it's just that I wanted my yard to look different from everyone else's, and you see those blocks EVERYWHERE. I understand about wood needing to be replaced and all, but would like to have something a little more unique-looking than those blocks. Any other ideas? Can I e-mail you (and anyone else interested) the photos instead? Thanks.

dinosoar

Old 04-15-04, 05:37 AM
dinosoar,

I agree that the keystone blocks are pretty 'cookie cutter' -- everybody is using them. (They're fast, cheap, permanent, and easy -- why not!)

An equally permanent solution would be to pour a concrete retaining wall, then face that with wood. (Or used bricks maybe?) I left out 'fast', 'easy' and 'cheap' on purpose!!

Sure, you can e-mail the photos.

There are some other ideas that people have used around here, and they can be attractive, as well as functional.

Last edited by lefty; 04-15-04 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-28-04, 05:59 PM
niftynift
Visiting Guest
How to line the existing fence for keystone-type wall?

lefty,

The suggestion of using keystone is just what I need for a small, yard-high garden wall against an existing redwood fence.

So, what's the best way to line the existing fence so that minimize contact the backfilled soil?

Old 04-28-04, 09:19 PM
6 mil plastic.

Old 05-10-04, 12:57 PM
niftynift
Visiting Guest
Sounds doable, lefty, thanks!