Wood Fence Building

Old 04-20-04, 07:12 AM
totalrad
Visiting Guest
Wood Fence Building

I will be building a new 6' privacy fence in a couple of weeks. I have thought about buying a pneumatic nailer to mount the pickets to the 2x4 stringers. Which would be better for this: a framing nailer shooting 2" galvanized round head nails or a narrow crown stapler shooting 1-1/2" galv. staples?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-04, 04:48 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First, totalrad, welcome to DoItYourself, and the fence forum.

I take it you are looking at doing enough fence to warrant the purchae, or at least have enough other projects in the works to say "It's time!!"

Full-round head nailer, for sure. Use 2" (6d) nails to attach the fence boards, and, if you are using wood posts, 3-1/4" (16d shorts) to attach the rails to the posts. The nailer will allow you to flush nail -- the stapler won't, and you couldn't use it for the rails.

Now, read back in the forum, and you'll see that I don't like using wood posts. THEY ROT!! I prefer using either 1-7/8" line posts, or 2-3/8" terminal posts, right out of the chain link fence stuff. Simpson and USP both make brackets to attach the rails to them. You'll never replace another fence post again (unless it tangles with some motorized piece of steel or something!)