making aluminum fence gate

Old 04-20-04, 08:36 PM
z_sutter
Visiting Guest
Question making aluminum fence gate

Hi, I have a couple of questions about making/modifying or buying a driveway gate. I need the cheapest option ( and preferably easiest option) for putting in a 6' high, 12' wide double driveway gate. I have been looking at aluminum fencing (picket style with top/middle/bottom rail) at home depot. They sell gates for it, but a 6' wide gate is $350, and I would need 2 of them, while the same style 6' wide regular fence panel is only $100. So, I have been thinking about getting 2 of the fence panels, and getting gate hardware and attaching them to 3" aluminum fence posts set into concrete, to make the gate. I'm not sure what sort of hinges or latch I should get, or how to attach them, I've never made/installed a gate before. I'm also wondering if using the fence panels are a good idea, and if they would work out and be sturdy enough. Any advice would be great, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-04, 05:13 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Here is the handiest site that I have found on fence and gate construction.

http://www.hooverfence.com/

Making a gate that will hold up is possibly the most difficult part of a fence. The gate post has to be strong enough so as not to bend under the load and not shift in the ground, the gate panel must not sag or rack, the hardware must carry the load. There is a gate kit that includes metal components for mounting wood so that the critical parts of the gate are metal to help keep the wood aligned and working.

http://www.hooverfence.com/woodfence/ag.htm

Hope this helps.