permit question

Old 04-27-04, 12:27 PM
buzbomb
Visiting Guest
permit question

im going to be building a fence in my backyard,and i was wondering if i should get a permit ? ive already asked my neighbor and he doesnt have a problem with it.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-04, 07:32 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Your best bet would be to contact your local building department: county or city, as applicable and ask.

Old 04-28-04, 11:05 AM
Good advice. Some localities require a fence permit while others don't. Sometimes it depends on the height of the fence as well.

Old 04-28-04, 09:24 PM
Like Chris said -- ASK!!

Some places will require a permit, others won't. The height of the fence usually comes into play. Around here, if it's less than 6' tall, no permit is needed. But THAT'S HERE!! Where YOU are may be a whole 'nother ball game.

Old 04-29-04, 06:26 AM
I'll join the chorus saying to ask the local permit folks.

On a general note, I'd like to point out that there is seldom a single answer to any permit question. Local jurisdictions may suscribe to national standards, make up their own rules, or use a combination of both. Some places allow homeowners to do almost anything (as long as it passes inspection) and others are very strict about hiring licensed contractors to do some kinds of work. In short, there's no way to know what the permit issues might be without asking the local authorities.

It would help if posters on this forum would include their location since someone may be familiar with the rules there and could give a better answer. Street addresses wouldn't be necessary, but a geographical area and a state might be useful.