How to Fix Leaning Split Rail Posts

Old 04-28-04, 04:56 PM
RestonVA
Visiting Guest
How to Fix Leaning Split Rail Posts

Hi and thanks in advance. I have a split rail fence but some of the posts are leaning. They are in good condition and don't need to be replaced, just made vertical. Any suggestions as to how best to fix them?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-04, 05:03 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Try pulling them back straight and tamping the dirt around them. Are they in sand or soft dirt? If they're in a low spot and the ground stays wet, they'll probably rot fairly quickly.

Old 04-28-04, 05:18 PM
RestonVA
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the fast reply. I think tamping the dirt around some will work, but in the low spots it is very wet. Would you recommend pouring some dry sacrete around the edges and then tamping dirt on top? I do expect those to rot pretty sooner than the rest.

Thanks!

Old 04-28-04, 07:28 PM
You're asking the wrong guy to endorse the use of concrete for fence posts. I never use it (unless a customer insists) and believe that it causes posts to rot way earlier than they should.

The secrets to getting maximum life out of a fence post are to;

1. Use heartwood posts. Sapwood attracts termites.

2. Set them in gravel and tamp them firmly as you backfill. This allows water to get AWAY from the post and it won't rot so soon. Concrete just makes a solid 'tube' that holds water.

3. Try to grade the fenceline so that water drains away from the fence.

Have Fun

Old 04-28-04, 09:09 PM
And Reston VA, you are asking the other wrong guy -- I gave up sticking wood posts in the dirt years ago! Like Dave said, THEY ROT!!

But with a split rail fence, you don't have much choice. They HAVE to be wood. If the ground is soggy, the fence is going to lean. Concrete collars around the posts won't do much for you. A suggestion would be to drive long (36" or 48") steel concrete stakes into the ground at the leaning posts and see if that will get you enough support to keep the wood posts upright.