Wooden privacy fence..how high is too high?

Old 05-09-04, 05:10 PM
Brownthree
Visiting Guest
Wooden privacy fence..how high is too high?

Help I'm having neighbor issues and I desperately need privacy. I was looking to have a 7' wooden privacy fence installed on one side of my yard only. The fence needs to be this tall due to the slope of the land, but the installer said "might as well install an 8' dog ear privacy fence", as I will charged for the same amount of material be it 7' or 8'. Is 8' too tall and do I have to worry about wind and it falling over?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-04, 11:17 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lumber comes in two-foot increments, so why pay for the extra labor to cut it all off and for the material to be thrown away.
If your posts are sufficiently anchored in concrete and the fence framed properly, it should withstand most windloads.
The contractor should know what is necessaray in your area, and you can check with your local Building Inspeciton Department.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 05-10-04, 06:01 AM
You should also check for any height restrictions in your area. Aound here, six feet is the maximum height for side and back fences. Fences extending to the front are sometimes lower if they might obstruct visibility at cross streets.

Old 05-10-04, 05:04 PM
You check carefully about restrictions, like Dave and Mike said, BEFORE you proceed.

You might have CC&R's that restrict you to a height of 6'. Also, at least around here, any fence over 6' high has to be engineered!! And I have yet to see a wood fence over 6' tall that an engineer would sign off on. They become masonary or chain link at that point.