neo angle steel posts?

Old 05-17-04, 11:19 PM
puglove1
Visiting Guest
neo angle steel posts?

I'm putting up a 6' cedar and gather from this forum that steel posts are generally the way to go. Are there specific posts for >90' angles? (I need to work around a phone pole). I'm in socal, any good vendors?

Thanks for a great resource.

bob

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-04, 02:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First Bob, welcome to the DoItYourself forums.

The posts I use are either 1-7/8" or 2-3/8" posts like you would use with chain link fencing. Simpson makes PGT's to fit either size. An outside corner (whatever angle up to 90 degrees is achieved by bending the arms of the PGT. (See Simpson's catalog.) There is also the PGTIC2 is used when you need an inside corner, but you need to make sure you have the 2-3/8" pipe at the location where that will occur. You'll find Simpson products at most big box stores and most lumberyards. Online, go to www.strongtie.com

Hope that helps.

Mike

Old 05-18-04, 09:30 AM
puglove1
Visiting Guest
one more

Thanks Mike,

Do you recommend using pressure treated 2x4's - my neighbor will most likely face his side as well.

Old 05-18-04, 06:13 PM
Bob,

If you search the archives of this forum, and go back even farther (before the "Fence" forum came into existence), you'll figure out pretty quickly that I don't put wood posts in the ground or embed them in concrete (Check out the "Deck" forum as well!!)

If you and the neighbor want to 'shadow box' or 'good neighbor' the fence -- so you are each looking at some sections with boards and some sections with rails -- that's doable. You'll just have to buy extra PGT's and run the rails a little longer. (The PGT's are less than $2 each -- this isn't going to break the bank!)

My logic is pretty simple (and pretty long run). You stick a 4X4 in the ground, and you'll be replacing the fence (in it's entirety) every 15 years. You use metal posts, and you'll be replacing the wood portions of the fence every 20 to 25 years, and the posts will wear out a half dozen fences! And wood is NOT going to get any cheaper than it is today!! (Plywood and OSB prices MIGHT come back down to earth at some point, but dimensional lumber prices won't.)

Old 05-19-04, 03:48 PM
puglove1
Visiting Guest
Mike,

Thanks again for the detailed response, but I wasn't referring to the ground posts - I intend to use steel for those (probably the postmaster ones from master halco), but rather the horizontal 2x4's that go between the steel posts. Do you recommend pressure treated or stick with cedar/redwood (they won't be seen as they will be covered by the pickets)

Thanks again.

Bob

Old 05-19-04, 06:45 PM
Bob,

My mistake -- I misread your question.

If the rails aren't going to be visible, I would use #2 & btr. doug fir (the standard stuff you get from any lumberyard or big box store) for the rails, and brush a coat of copper green on them before installing the fence boards, concentrating mostly on the top edge. That is going to cost less than either P.T. or redwood, and it'll cost less and be stronger than cedar. And, given that L.A. usually gets so little rain, I'm not so sure I would even worry too much about the copper green.