Nails or Screws?

Old 05-24-04, 08:16 AM
PatrickG
Visiting Guest
Nails or Screws?

Iím building a 6í wooden dog-eared privacy fence, picket by picket. Should I use nails or screws?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-04, 10:04 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Screws.

Well, unless you have a framing nailer and can shoot 2" galvanized nails and time is a concern!

Old 05-25-04, 10:03 PM
austinff
Visiting Guest
Lefty, I read back and found out that you sugest 2" 6d nails. I am using red cedar and live in austin TX, my neighbors fence has run marks down the fence from the nails. What nails will last will not mark my fence? Do I have a choice? why are screws better?

Old 05-26-04, 03:58 AM
IF you have a framing nailer, then using that with 6d (2") galvanized nails will be FASTER than putting the boards on with screws.

If your choice is between a screw gun or a hammer, then go with the screws. if "Fast" is not a concern, then go with the screws.

When the boards start to warp and twist, they will start pulling nails out. They can't pull the screws out. As the fence ages, nails can pull out of the rail as it deteriorates. It takes longer for screws to start doing that.

About the only screws that I have found that USUALLY don't streak are ones like Deck Mate that look more like they are painted than just galvanized or plated. Galvanized or gold plated screws will eventually react to the acid in cedar or redwood and will streak.

Sealing the fence on a regular basis with Silkens, Cabot's, SuperDeck, etc. will delay the streaks, but eventually they will probably show up.

Old 06-02-04, 01:46 PM
Kongar123456
Visiting Guest
Nails

I'm currently building about 200 feet of cedar stockade semi privacy fence picket by picket. I'm using 5d 1-3/4 stainless steel shank siding nails. They have ribs in the nails, and the stainless steel hopefully won't streak. I'm using two nails per cross board per picket, for a total of 6 nails per picket. The fence panels are ROCK solid, and I can't even pry the pickets off without breaking the pickets.

I personally think nailing with a hammer is faster than screwing with a drill. I guess I'll see how well this fence holds up with nails - check back in 15 years but that's what I'm doing regardless...

Kongar

Old 06-02-04, 05:44 PM
Kongar123456,

You are right --that fence is solid. All new fences are, assuming that they are built solidly. And ring-shanked nails DO have great holding power, as you stated. It's been my experience that they will hold well for quite a while -- probably 5 to 8 years, until the rail begins to deteriorate. (Regular galvanized nails usually start to let go in 3 to 5 years.) Screws usually hold well for 7 to maybe 10 years. It just all depends on what was used for the rails, and what sort of sun and rain it gets exposed to. I doubt that the stainless will streak.