boards breaking screws in half

Old 05-26-04, 09:28 PM
michael meza
Visiting Guest
Unhappy boards breaking screws in half

I put up metal post and c-perlin that I screwed the 6' wood boards to. After it rained the wood expanded, and the screws broke. I replaced the screws all over again with thicker ones, and it happened again. Before I replace them for the third time what type of screws should I use or can I even use bolts. The first screws were about 1/8 thick, second 1/4 thick all exterior deck screws. Please help before all boards come down Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-04, 05:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First Michael, welcome to DoItYourself.com and the Fence forum.

What's "c-perlin"??

What are you using for fence boards that is able to snap a screw when it swells with a little rain water?

Exactly what brand and type of screws are you using?

I've have put up literally miles of wood fence and use screws to attach the boards and have never seen what you are describing happen.

Old 05-28-04, 07:40 AM
A C-purlin is a roll-formed metal purlin used in metal roof structures (ie: standing seam). He topped using metal posts - using metal rails also.

Too tight - not enough tensile strength (degrades when penetrating the metal), and no compressible spacer between the wood & metal.

High cost - grade eight stainless steel. Low cost - galv. bolt & rubber spacer.

Old 05-28-04, 10:39 AM
Thanks 2000 -- now it makes sense.

The rubber washers would work, but they will probably cause big black streaks on the fence boards.

Grade 8 stainless -- Michael would have more money tied up in those than he does the fence boards.

Change the metal rails to wood rails, and through bolt them to the posts.

Old 05-31-04, 11:10 AM
michael meza
Visiting Guest
Question fence

If I leave the metal rails can I get away with installing bolts and just insert them in the existing hole? What shall I do when installing bolts, not tighten them all the way so the wood can have some room to expand?

Old 06-01-04, 10:28 PM
Warpped/cupped boards, premature cracking, Xylophone in the wind. [At least tune it].

Lefty - wood to wood. Make do - compressible spacer. Costly - stainless.

Modified - PT 20s' bolted to the purlins (over sized holes, recessed heads, irregular bolt pattern >[cupping], metal washer as spacer.). Nail or screw.