Wide angles & the Ugly factor with metal posts

Old 05-31-04, 09:37 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wide angles & the Ugly factor with metal posts

OK, so you've convinced me metal is the way to go for posts on a cedar fence. Here are a couple of questions

How does this compare cost wise?

My yard is like a picaso rendition of a pie slice. Actually more like half of an irregular hexagon. I have no 90 degree corners, 2 wide angles and 1 tight angle. Can I make the simpson ties work for that? Do I just bend them in or out?

How do the gates work? Is there a simpson product for that as well?

What about the "ugly factor"? Do you cover those metal posts with 1x6s (how would you fasten them)? Just paint the posts to not be so obvious? I think I could be happy with that--The Mrs?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-04, 03:06 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Good questions!

Cost -- My local HD sells a P.T. 4X4X8 for $9.00. Their 1-7/8X7 chain link post is $9.50, and PGT1.5's are $1.50 each. The caps are $1.00 each. So each post will cost about $5.00 more in metal than it would for wood. (I added a bit extra for the extra concrete the hole will take to fill it.) Life of a wood post in dirt or concrete is about 15 years. Life of the metal posts is probably 3, 4 or maybe 5 times that.

Angles -- you can bend the PGT's to fit the wide angles easily enough. However, for the 1 really tight (or acute) angle, I would simply set a post about 1-1/2' to 2' away from that corner on each of the fence lines running into it and let the rails cantilever past the posts into the corner, and screws the ends of the rails together. (cut angles on the rails so they match.

Gates -- set terminal posts at each side of the opening. Use regular chain link hinge hardware. You can use a metal frame for the gate, or you can build a wood frame. (Metal will cost more, but it'll never sag or have to be replaced.)

"The ugly factor" -- I guess since 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder', so's ugly! ;-) You could box the posts in. Screw a 2X4 to the rails on either side of the post BEFORE you put the fence boards on, then a 1X fence board that spans them and covers the post.