Size of Post for Gates

Old 07-23-04, 07:51 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Size of Post for Gates

I'm planning on installing a new fence in a few weeks, and I'm just starting to plan materials, etc. My backyard already has 3 sides of fence. I'm simply tying in the house on both sides to the fence to contain the dog and improve the looks of the property.

I want to make Concave Shadowbox panels and gates (matching the existing fence). I was planning on using the Hoover Fence Co's Adjustable gate Kits, and making my own panels. I need to make a 30" to 36" single gate for a walkway and a 10' - 2 piece driveway gate (2 - 5' sections).

Questions:

-Will I encounter any problems using the Hoover Kits for a Shadowbox Gate?
-Install/hinge placement tips for Shadowbox gates?
-How are the Hoover kits for quality, etc?
-What size posts should I use for the 5' sections and how deep? I'm in Michigan.
-What diameter should the holes be for the recommended posts?
-How far away from the house should I be digging the post holes so not to damage or upset the basement walls?

Thanks!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-04, 10:25 PM
Not familiar with Hoover fence kits -- heck, I'm not familiar with ANY fence kits!

If you are using steel pipe for the posts, then a 3" pipe, set about 3' deep in an 8" footing would be a start. Additionally, I would pour a 6" deep, 18" wide pad between the footings, poured at the same time as the footings, with 2 or 3 runs of #4 rebar through the pad and bent down into each footing.

If you are using wood for the gate posts (I wouldn't), then increase the diameter of the footings to 15" to 18", and keep the same pad between them.

I would keep all of the posts about 2' from the house and simply cantelever the rails to the house.

Old 07-28-04, 05:42 AM
Lefty - thank for the reply. The fence and gate will be over dirt/lawn for now. I'm not pouring any slabs in the near future. But, I eventally plan on having a large garage built in the rear yard and will pave a driveway approach then.

What do you mean by cantalever the rails to the house?

Old 07-29-04, 10:39 PM
"cantalever the rails" -- just that. The posts will be about 2' from the house. The rails will be about 2' longer than your post spacing, and will extend past the post to the house. You simply attach your fence boards to the rails.