fence and gate on concrete pad

Old 07-27-04, 09:20 AM
jqstanley
Visiting Guest
Question fence and gate on concrete pad

In my neighborhood, HOA requires a split rail fence with some flexibilities to do what is necessary to construct a gate. So, please don't limit your viewpoint to simply this structure. On the side of the house, the previous owner poured a concrete slab. Because I have dogs, I would like to enclose the fence from the prexisting fence line, across the concrete, and abutting to the house. Because of the concrete and the desire to put a gate here, I'm at a loss for a good way to secure the posts to support a gate and the additional fence. The span is about 13.5 ft and I would like the gate to be large enough to allow a small tractor access (8 ft. gate?). I was thinking to help alleviate stress on the hinge of the gate and the post supporting it, I would use a spring-shock wheel to roll along the concrete for opening and closing the gate. Beyond that, I'm stumped.

Any help?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-04, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cut (or core drill) the concrete where you want the posts to be and set the posts in footings that are about 2' below the slab. When you fill the footings, finsh the top of the new concrete flush with the existing slab.

For the 8' gate, use 2 at 4' each with a cane bolt on one panel in the center where they meet. You'll have to drill a hole into the slab for the bolt. 4' panels will put about 1/4 to 1/3 the pressure on a post that one 8' panel would. Since you are on a slab, the wheel support is going to help a lot also.