Inexpensive Fencing Options

Reply

  #1  
Old 08-06-04, 06:44 AM
CollinDIY
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Inexpensive Fencing Options

Hi -

I am the furthest thing from knowledgable in this area. I'm crafty but not too handy. I'm looking for an extremely affordable option for putting up my own fence in my backyard. I would like to spend under 200 dollars. ALL MATERIALS are accepted. We live in the woods so nobody will see the fence but us.

I have a lot of ground to cover (1/2 acre) and our property goes straight back....currently, we have a small chain link fence that is covering about 10% of the property. We couldn't afford to go back the remaining 90%....I am 25 yrs old and am doing this project for my mom and our 3 dogs who would like the room to roam....If you have any suggestions for something cheap and doable, I'm all ears (eyes)..

Thanks.

Collin
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 08-06-04, 09:33 AM
Driver_1952
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
The fastest cheapest way to do this is to use 6 foot T-posts and 4 foot field fencing. Posts are from $3 to $3.50 each and 150 foot field fencing runs about $50 per roll. You'll need a post pounder which you can purchase or make yourself with a 2 ft. length of 2 1/2 inch galvanised pipe and a threaded pipe cap. You'll also need to purchase enough wire ties to put 3 on each post. Set the posts every 10 feet. If you can afford it, I recommend using a PT 4x4 post at each corner set in concrete and braced diagonally both ways along the run of the fence. If you don't already have a chain link gate, you need 2 PT 4x4 posts set 3 feet apart in concrete and braced as the corners are. To build a cheap gate, you need 3 2x4 studs, a piece of fencing and some scrap plywood. Cut 2 studs the width of the opening less about 2 inches. These are top and bottom. Cut 2 studs the height you want for the gate. Lay them face down on a flat surface keeping them square. Cut 4 triangles from the plywood and screw one to each corner on the face. Turn gate over and staple fencing to other side. For a 4 ft tall gate, you'll need 3 gate hinges and a gate latch. Good luck.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: