Inexpensive Fencing Options

Old 08-06-04, 06:44 AM
CollinDIY
Visiting Guest
Inexpensive Fencing Options

Hi -

I am the furthest thing from knowledgable in this area. I'm crafty but not too handy. I'm looking for an extremely affordable option for putting up my own fence in my backyard. I would like to spend under 200 dollars. ALL MATERIALS are accepted. We live in the woods so nobody will see the fence but us.

I have a lot of ground to cover (1/2 acre) and our property goes straight back....currently, we have a small chain link fence that is covering about 10% of the property. We couldn't afford to go back the remaining 90%....I am 25 yrs old and am doing this project for my mom and our 3 dogs who would like the room to roam....If you have any suggestions for something cheap and doable, I'm all ears (eyes)..

Thanks.

Collin

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-04, 09:33 AM
Driver_1952
Visiting Guest
The fastest cheapest way to do this is to use 6 foot T-posts and 4 foot field fencing. Posts are from $3 to $3.50 each and 150 foot field fencing runs about $50 per roll. You'll need a post pounder which you can purchase or make yourself with a 2 ft. length of 2 1/2 inch galvanised pipe and a threaded pipe cap. You'll also need to purchase enough wire ties to put 3 on each post. Set the posts every 10 feet. If you can afford it, I recommend using a PT 4x4 post at each corner set in concrete and braced diagonally both ways along the run of the fence. If you don't already have a chain link gate, you need 2 PT 4x4 posts set 3 feet apart in concrete and braced as the corners are. To build a cheap gate, you need 3 2x4 studs, a piece of fencing and some scrap plywood. Cut 2 studs the width of the opening less about 2 inches. These are top and bottom. Cut 2 studs the height you want for the gate. Lay them face down on a flat surface keeping them square. Cut 4 triangles from the plywood and screw one to each corner on the face. Turn gate over and staple fencing to other side. For a 4 ft tall gate, you'll need 3 gate hinges and a gate latch. Good luck.