Building a driveway gate 13'

Old 09-03-04, 12:10 PM
todds
Visiting Guest
Building a driveway gate 13'

What is the best way to do this? I have a 13 foot section to work with. I am planning on making 2 gates 6.5 feet each, but i am concerend with the weight of the fence. To help with the weight on my 4X4 posts i am going to run 2 2X6s above the gate from one 4X4 to the other 4X4 to prevent the posts from bieng pulled. Can i just build a regualar wood panneling fence with 2X4s for the frame or should i use sometype of metal bracing?

Old 09-03-04, 10:09 PM
L
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Todds,

You don't understand just how much force is involved. (Neither did I!!)

My gates are only 5-1/2' wide. But one of the posts kept falling in from the weight of the gate.

Let me describe my posts. These are slump blocks, placed on a 2' square footing, with a 1-7/8" metal posts buried 2' in the ground, with an 8" concrete collar around those pipes.

My OTHER post is as solid as a rock. The DIFFERENCE -- the post that doesn't budge has a concrete footing that is 2' wide and runs directly under the gate when it's in a closed position.

SOLUTION -- Don't use wood posts. (Wood IS going to bend and warp!) Use a steel post embedded in concrete, AND run a strip of concrete (with rebar, which mine has) between the posts. The key is to do this all in ONE POUR!!!

(I'll be moving my gates early next year, and I learned from my mistake -- no more sagging gates for me!!)

Old 09-04-04, 05:29 PM
todds
Visiting Guest
What about using 2X6's for support?

So let me see if I understand what you are saying. First of all I have not used concrete footing for any of my posts (tampered soil 2-21/2' with 2" gravel on bottom), but for my gates i should use a concrete footing? Second of all use a metal post. Wouldn't a 2X6 nailed on top of the 2 gate posts (one on the front side the other on the back side of the 4X4) keep the posts from bending? In order for the posts to bend they would have to bend the (2) 2X6's (almost impossible). If i weren't to use the 2X6's then I see what you are saying. Does this make any sense or are you still telling me that the posts will still bend?

Old 09-04-04, 06:56 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is always multiple remedies for a problem.

If the posts are in place you could run a turnbuckle from the top of the gate post to the bottom of the adjacent fence post. Tighten it up and see how much that helps.

You might need to set up a series of those turnbuckles. The post closest gets attached at top and the distant post gets the turnbuckle attachment at the bottom. Visualize a 'sawtooth' of turnbuckles.

You could attach a 'deadmen' to each post just below the surface. Perhaps a treated 2x8 3 foot long. That would help to resist the force. You might have to periodically tamp the dirt in front of the deadmen, but it should work well.

If you could tolerate a solid panel behind the fence panel, you could use treated plywood to tie the gate post to the adjacent fence post. That would convert the force of leaning the gate post to a force of pulling up the fence post. You could also tie the adjacent fence post to its next neighbor for additional resistance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: