Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

Picket Fence Design for Maximum View but Child Retention

Old 09-10-04, 09:54 AM
bobjrlaw
Visiting Guest

My wife and I have 3 small children (new born, 1 yr. old, and 4 yr. old). We live on a golfcourse with a great pond view from our backyard. We're thinking about doing a 3' high picket fence across our backyard to keep our children from running onto the golfcourse. The oldest one has pretty much learned the rules.

My fear is obstructing this great view we have of the golfcourse pond. It's actually 2 ponds with a nice bridge in between them.

Anyway, the primary goal in doing the fence is to make a reasonably safe play zone. The secondary goal is to make it aesthetically pleasing, and not detract from the view or block it too much. The last goal is to do something relatively inexpensive because we anticipate taking it down in 5 years or so when the kids are older.

We've pretty much decided on a wooden picket fence. The question is what kind.

I'm guessing that the thinner the pickets and the wider the space between the better the visibility through the fence, but I have not gotten any fence contractor to confirm that. I've seen picket fences with too much space between pickets that look pretty bad. My wife is a little concerned about kids being enticed to get their heads stuck in the fence if the pickets are too wide.

I was thinking that 1"x1" pickets spaced about 4" apart would keep the kids in, but provide the best siteline through the fence. My wife thinks that will be too expensive because of the number of pickets required, and suggests we do 4" pickets about 2" apart. Again, I fear we'll be blocking the view (the main reason we bought the house). Does anybody have any suggestions?

Old 09-10-04, 08:28 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
OK, I'm thinking in terms of a hand rail or deck rail here. Code says the pickets have to be spaced so that a 4" ball cannot be passed between them. Doesn't matter WHAT the picket is, so long as the gap between the pickets is less than 4". Your 1X1 is fine. (I use a redwood picket that is 1-3/8" square.) Whatever you use, the cost isn't all that great. You have more space between the pickets than you have pickets.

Another option might be to use a plexiglass or tempered glass panel. NO obstruction of the view, and no way is a child going to stick his or her head through it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: