Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

Potential problem w/ power company reading meter through fence?

Old 03-16-05, 09:56 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We removed a chain link gate that was rotting away that provided side entrance to our house. When we put the new shadow box fence in, we put it parallel to the neighbor's shadow box fence. The only problem we encountered was that now the electric meter is INSIDE the fence by about a foot instead of it being outside like it was. Also, the fence is 6' tall and obstructs the view of the meter from the outside. My father removed the top of one of the planks to provide a view of the meter face but I'm concerned that the meter reader will come by and fine us for obstructing the meter or something stupid like that. As far as I know, they have a right to enter the back yard so that shouldn't be a problem. Anyone have experience with this situation?

Also, my wife doesn't want an exposed latch on the outside of the gate so we bought an inside latch (the run-of-the-mill Stanley latch like this and I ran a line from the eyelet on the latch to the outside to allow it to be opened. I could use a sharpie to write "PULL" under it but that's very ugly and will be covered when I get around to staining the fence. Is there any sort of ornamental "Pull" sign someone can recommend? The only ones I've seen are the large rectangular ones that stick on to a glass door to a business. This sort of ties in with the first question because since we installed the gate so well, it really just looks like a 5' wide piece of fence with two washers at the top of the right most plank.

Old 03-17-05, 05:36 AM
J
Morning bump - I guess nobody has any answers?

Old 03-17-05, 05:58 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Not sure of the situation there where you are but most meter readers are now carrying handheld computers for entering meter reads. You may be able to call your electric company and see if they can put a message in the handheld telling the reader how to gain access. This is how the water department in Ohio did it. Just a thought. Seems kind of silly to put on an inside latch and then have to put a sign up on how to get in. Good luck.

Old 03-17-05, 06:24 AM
J
Thanks for the tip, I'll see about contacting them to make sure they note the account. With my luck, they will come to read the meter, find it obstructed and then put a $500 fine on the account for 'obstructed meter' or something else stupid.

We almost had FPL out on Tuesday - the cable guy came and drilled the wall to run a new line and thought he would be a foot to the right of the mains coming in but ended up being about three inches to the left!

Old 10-10-05, 06:31 AM
B
Electric co

I had the same problem with the way my fence was put in. I just called and told them I would have a small slit in fence so they could see and they said they would note it for the readers

Old 11-23-05, 01:12 PM
F
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
i fenced in the back yard for the dogs, and the meter is inside the fenced area. the reader won't go in with the dogs so we have post card size reports (draw in the dial positions) that we tape to the front door every month. some areas are moving to an rf trasmition meter and the reader just drives by the house to record.

Old 11-23-05, 04:51 PM
they read ours with binocular

why wouldnt you contact your power company and ask them rather than relying on advice here ?

Old 01-07-06, 01:34 PM
O
phone co instead of power company

Hey guys. great site. I may even try to repair my own fence now. I had the same problem with phone company. It seems I have a tower in the corner of my back yard that served three other neighbors. any problems and they had to get me to open the gate. My wife is disabled and could not help them out so they put a phone company lock on the gate. It's just a simple combo lock with my address as the code. Now when there is a phone problem they just let themselves in and leave me a note saying they were there. just for reference. thanks for the information.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: