Somewhat new fence contractor needs help

Old 03-20-05, 07:10 PM
quadIaser
Visiting Guest
Somewhat new fence contractor needs help

Well, first of all, i was using #6 1 5/8" screws from for installing the pickets for 6' all wood privacy fences, and after several weeks the screws started breaking, so i switched to a #8 1 3/4" screw that also started breaking after about a month.you'll never believe it but now if i pull hard at one of the pickets all 6 of the screws will break. it doesn't seem to matter if i drove the screw deep or flush it still breaks. so obviously i've contacted the company and they were stunned (i am forced to leave out the name of the company due to certain legal matters, but know that these screws are recommended for pressure treated lumber). obviously the situation needs to be fixed and money is not a problem thanks to hurricaine ivan, and obviously i'm a little gunshy of screws. so my question is: should i leave the screws in and put nails in, take the screws out and put nails in the same holes? or take the screws out and put nails in new spaces? do you think i have a law suit? this could run me 10k

also, what's the best way to frame a 6', 5' wide gate?

and one more thing, i use about 60#s of quikrete for each 4x4, how much water should i put in if i don't premix?

thank you so much.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-05, 07:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 298 Votes on 272 Posts
I've gotten many bad batches of screws from the large home improvement stores. The head on some of them snapped off when the screw was only half way in. For the most part I chalk it up to cheap/poor quality imports. I've had much less trouble brand name fasteners bought from; Fastenal, Manhattan Supply (commercial, industial supply places)... They are more expensive, but the quality seemed to be better and they did not break.

A couple years ago I bought a new trailer that was decked with 2x8 pressure treated lumber. Well, about a month later on a hot sunny day I heard a "pop"... a couple days later I heard another "pop" and one of the boards was curled up in the air like a banana. The two 1/4" bolts holding it down had snapped. The board had shrunk in length by almost 2" and it was more than the bolts could hold.