Post Spikes

Old 07-31-05, 11:16 AM
djennex
Visiting Guest
Question Post Spikes

In Build a Post Fence Without Digging Post Holes, Roy Barnhart writes the following:

"Post spikes are spikes with a metal box attached to hold your post (they come in 24 inch and 30 inch sizes, and generally come in packs of 4). These spikes just have to be driven into the ground. A nice feature about the post spike is, if the fence post breaks, all you have to do is remove the broken post and add a new one. Posts put in concrete have to be broken out of the ground and the concrete has to be repoured. Post spikes don't use concrete so they are cheaper and easier to use."

Does anyone else have experience using post spikes? Pros and cons vs. traditional post-holing and cement fill? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-05, 04:57 PM
Trebbor
Visiting Guest
I've used the post spikes and they are great in non-rocky soil. The most difficult thing I encountered was keeping the post spike in alignment while knocking it into the ground with a sledge hammer. It's hard to reposition it if you're out of alignment. Also if you run into some rocks on the way down, you may have to pull it out, dig out the rock, and try again. They are certainly a lot easier and faster to use than the traditional cement and post method.

Old 08-03-05, 08:05 PM
djennex
Visiting Guest
Post Spikes Stable?

Thanks for your reply Trebbor. Apart from allignment issues, do the post spikes make for a strong stable fence? Any thoughts on the likely longevity of post spike fence vs. traditional post hole/cement ones? Almost sounds too good to be true, so I'm supposing there are downsides.

Old 08-04-05, 10:20 PM
Trebbor
Visiting Guest
I've only done it once before and I put them in soil that had some clay in it. That made for a very solid anchor; as good as cement from my perspective. If you have a very sandy soil, your results may not be as good. As far as longevity is concerned, I've only had them in for a couple of years and so far they are not showing any wear or rust.

Old 08-09-05, 09:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I just used some for a 2' patio fence.
They seem good enough for that.
I used the 24" ones but I don't think I would trust this with a normal 6" privacy fence.

my $0.02

Old 04-17-08, 07:59 PM
costly

Does anyone know where you can buy poke spikes for less then $20.00 a piece. The article on here says they are just "a few dollars a piece." I've not found them for less then $19.75 a piece. I need 36 of them and the cost is quite a bit more then digging holes? Any suggestions?

Old 04-18-08, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
HD has them for $15 for the larger ones. I'd re-think their use tho.

They work ok for mailboxes, but the box for the post on some of them is oversized, and you sometimes have to shim the post for it to be solid. And willl you really save any time when you hit a rock or a hard spot and have to reste the spike.

You could rent a power hole digger and buy the concrete probably for less than the cost of the spikes.

JMO

Old 04-18-08, 11:54 AM
Post Spikes

I am surprised they are still tring to sell them.

The only good use for them is temporary realtor signs, but that comes and goes with the home sales.

Dick