Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

Any ideas for heightening an old chain linked fence?

Old 08-17-05, 09:09 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I have an old chain link fence but a big dog and I think it's only like 3 1/2
ft tall... is there any way to add onto the top of this with either more chain link or some other type of fencing/barrier???? I don't want it to look too stupid. My other option is to maybe just plant a lot of tall shrubs of some kind to deter him from trying to jump over.
thanks,
deb

Old 08-18-05, 12:14 AM
tae
Upvotes: 0
why not tack taller wood fencing to the chain link?

Old 08-18-05, 10:49 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
I posted a common solution in this thread:
extending fence height

You can extend the entire length of a fence, or just a portion of it using this method (I've done both). Note that only raising part of the height of a fence doesn't look as good. When I did this, I did it only for one section of the fence (10') to satisfy a pool enclosure requirement.

Old 08-20-05, 10:35 PM
S
Hi,
I guess I missed your post on my review... that's a great idea to ?uncap the post and slide a ?sleeve? into pre-existing posts- I would then get somebody (probably my brother but he doesn't know it yet) to help me stretch the link fence between them, right? (I know nothing about this)
The other option of tacking up wood sounds good too as the dog wouldn't be able to "see" what's going on around him and wouldn't bark as much would also give ME privacy from neighbors... but wouldn't I need to anchor the panels with its own posts as I don't know how I'd attach it to the metal posts? Plus, I think that'd be a lot more costly... maybe even as much as putting up a new wooden fence?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: