Protect top of 4x4 PT post

Old 10-05-05, 05:06 AM
brians
Visiting Guest
Question Protect top of 4x4 PT post

I installed 55 4x4 PT posts for my 6' privacy fence. I had to cut some of the post off the top because some holes are deeper than others. I was wondering what, if anything, I should put on top of these posts (where I cut them off) to protect the 4x4 from premature rotting. Any ideas/suggestions?

Old 10-05-05, 07:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I wouldnt worry about it , the place it will rot first is where it contacts the ground.

Old 10-06-05, 06:45 PM
N
options

You can add the "caps" that they sell at the big box stores to protect from rain which will swell the wood... though like it was posted before... they section won't rot first.

They look pretty at least

Old 01-01-06, 01:14 AM
B
If they currently stick up from the rest of the fence structure you could cut a pyramid shape onto the top of the post to keep water from sitting on the top. You would only need half an inch. But this solution is best worked out beforehand as it is much easier to do this with a chop saw of some kind.

Steve

Old 01-01-06, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Votes on 60 Posts
I have seen an end cut preservative for just what you are doing.
Check where you bought the posts.
If they do not have something specifically for end cuts you could try copper napthenate preservative.

Old 01-04-06, 05:59 PM
S
angle the cut slightly to let any water run off and simply throw on some Thompsons water seal.. even if they did rot you are talking about 10 years or more and then you simply trim off a few inches... and ya good to go

Old 01-05-06, 03:30 PM
J
Mango Man is correct, the bottom will rot first. The combination of high moisture PLUS air will cause rot. If you examine a rotten post, you'll see the part underground, despite high moisture, usually remains strong and the rot occurs at or within a few inches of ground level.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: