shadowbox fence construction question

Old 11-26-05, 08:03 AM
patus
Visiting Guest
shadowbox fence construction question

Rookie post here,
I need some advice on constructing a wooden shadowbox fence. My specific question deals with attaching the rails (2x4) to the posts (4x4). The conventional way to build these fences (from what I've seen) is to lap joint the rails on the outside face of the posts. I want to keep the fence as slim as possible, and have the "good neighbor" look, with both siedes identical. The best way to do this would be to butt joint the rails between the posts. I spoke to the local HD guy who said that would make the fence much, much weaker. That makes sense, but would using galvanized brackets to attach the rails to posts, instead of just toe nailing them in cure that problem? I want a fence that will stand up to the elements, but also look like some thought went into it.
Thanks for the help.
Pat

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-05, 09:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 30 Posts
I think using the metal joist hangars as you suggest would be as strong as attaching them directly to the face of the posts. The only drawback would be how it looks. I considered doing it that way on a fence I just built across the back of our lot.