fencing

Old 12-17-05, 04:18 PM
judith-b
Visiting Guest
fencing

What do you think? When putting the fence boards up, do they face your side or your neighbors yard? Assuming that the posts are in the middle of the property line.
Judith

Old 12-17-05, 04:51 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
judith-b, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
No expert here but I have not seen a fence built "on" the property line. It is normally on your property completely with at least a couple inches to spare.
The boards are USUALLY on the neighbors side and you get the post and support view.
Watch this post for more answers. Good luck.

Old 12-18-05, 05:53 PM
L
judith-b,

OK, now I'll be the confusion factor for what majakdragon posted.

EVERY fence built in my town is built ON the property line. No, I'm going to give up even a few INCHES of my yard to appease my neighbor! Put the posts on the line, and alternate the fence boards -- You get them for one section, and the neighbor gets them for the next section, ...

Old 12-19-05, 07:43 AM
judith-b
Visiting Guest
fencing

Thank you both for your replies. I build a fence with the posts on the property line & put the boards on the neighbors side. This way invaders can't use the cross pieces as a ladder and I can hang window boxes on them or place a gardening item there. The "good neighbor" type is probably the best for both yards, but they don't give complete privacy and it takes more time to paint/stain.

Old 12-20-05, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
well I put the "good side tword me . I paid for it I want to look at he dont like it he can pop up his own fence to look at

more practical doing it that way I can do it all from my side and not have to work in the neighbors yard at all.

check with your zoning peaple first some may spec how it goes

Old 01-10-06, 07:59 AM
R
Your fence can not be "on the line" Because you own it and you can not maitain the other side with out giving yourself some easment. The nieghbor does not have to let you encroch on his land to apint or replace boards or what ever. As for which way the suports should always go to the inside. I hate it when people put fence up backwords.

Old 01-10-06, 10:13 AM
do it my way and all can be done from your property no need to cross the property line .

the supports are on the outside of mine I see the finished side I paid why should I look at the ugly side ?

Old 01-10-06, 02:12 PM
S
Down here in Louisiana many insurance adjusters are paying the homeowner for downed fences according to which way the "cosmetic" side faces, so if you the boards face your neighbor the are not paying you for the fence without a fight to prove its your fence.... this applies when the fence is between houses on the side or back not corner lots.

Old 01-10-06, 03:57 PM
thats why you hire your own adjuster

, if the same style of fence is on three sides of my property and the neighbors have no fence or a diffrent style I will collect

Old 01-11-06, 06:43 AM
R
I have installed a lot of fences over the years and not 1 customer has ever wanted the "nice side" in. The curb apeal of your house is really deminished when you put fence up backwards. Do the right thing and put it up corectly. your nieghbors will thank you and so will I when I drive by. Also back it in from the property line a couple feet. Then you can maintain it properly without anyones permision. Ie. Trim the grass on both sides. your problem not you nieghbors.

Old 01-11-06, 08:48 AM
K
around here if the fencing is on your side of the post[assuming that the posts are on the prop. line] then it belongs to you. if it is on the neighbors side of the post, it belongs to them. in some cases, like a long fence between ranches, if it is a shared property line fence the maintenance is shared, from the middle of the fence to the right is your responsibility and to the left is your neighbors responsibility.

Old 02-17-06, 10:02 AM
Ron999
Visiting Guest
inside or out

I'm going to be installing a fence this spring around my backyard which leads to an alleyway. And my thinking is that because it's the backyard I want the boards facing in. If it were the front yard, I'd do it with the boards facing out, because it would look better. But the backyard it a different matter. It will be a three sided fence, so my two side neighbors will have the supports on their side. But since I am paying for it, I'm thinking that's the way it goes.

Now if the neighbors want to help me pay for the fence, I'd face the boards the other way.

Old 02-18-06, 09:14 PM
L
IF there's a swimming pool involved, the fence boards HAVE TO be placed AWAY from the pool. That's a 'no-climb' fence. If it is on an alley way, or facing a street, I put the fence boards on the alley or street side. It's just between my back yard and the neighbor's that I 'good neighbor' the fence. Works fine -- they are only paying for 1/2 the fence, only putting 1/2 the labor into building it, so why should they get more than 1/2 the "good side" (or "bad side")???

Old 03-01-06, 12:25 PM
R
Most of the privacy fences I see have the posts facing the inside. Most people around here want the "ugly" side facing them so they can use them to put things on. For example...a hanging hook with a flower basket placed on every post (every 8 feet) looks great. My parents have a pool and have placed decorative pieces along the fence that's by the pool. You just have more options if you have the posts facing in. It's much better than having to nail anything up and having nails sticking through all over the place for the neighbor to look at...wouldn't work. We're getting ready to put up a fence and I want the posts facing me. I don't think they're ugly at all, especially after you place flowers, etc. around.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: