Installing wooden Fence

Old 12-27-05, 12:56 PM
BillG
Visiting Guest
Installing wooden Fence

I am installing a wooden fence and in the process of keeping the top of the fence pickets even, it is making the bottom look uneven to the ground. Should i be concerned with this? The top looks good, but the bottom does not.

Old 12-28-05, 08:27 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Since the tops are even and the bottoms aren't, the board lengths have some variation. Not at all uncommon; in fact it's usually the case. Nothing to be concerned about, but you could hide it with a small hedge planted along the fence, or by installing a 6" to one foot wide strip of rocks along the bottom of the fence and put the rocks in deep enough to cover the bottom of the boards.

Old 01-30-06, 03:48 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Use a Kickboard

Originally Posted by BillG
I am installing a wooden fence and in the process of keeping the top of the fence pickets even, it is making the bottom look uneven to the ground. Should i be concerned with this? The top looks good, but the bottom does not.
I have seen fencing where the bottom of the pickets do not touch the ground by design. The advantage is the wood will not rot since it wont sit in any water or be eaten by termites. The builder installed a 'kickboard' along the bottom to make it look nice.

For those unable to picture what I am saying, just use a piece of fencing along the bottom to cover the bottoms of the planks, like a trim around the floorboard in your house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: