Can I Bury A Post or Should I Mount It?

Old 01-26-06, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I Bury A Post or Should I Mount It?

I designed a patio arbor for over a 12'x13' flagstone patio. I wanted to completely encase in concrete (or quickrete?) either 4x4x12' or 6x6x12' PT posts (4 total) to a depth of 32". I showed the plans to a more knowledgeable friend and he advised that it would be better to create concrete piers and mount the posts on top.

What is the longevity factor for either type of construction with PT posts? Is there another way to install the posts that will help mitigate the rot issue that I should be considering? What is the minimum depth I should use for either way (Philadelphia, Pa.)?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-06, 02:54 PM
Oops! Looks like I really should have posted this in the decks forum. Sorry. When I figure out how to move it I will get it to the right place.

Old 01-26-06, 09:40 PM
Mary,

You're OK in this forum too.

If you read back through the old stuff, you'll figure out I am NOT a fan of embedding wood in dirt or concrete. It rots, and then you have no reasonable (or easy) way to replace it.

Two options.

One is to do the footing, extend the top of it up about 6" with a sonotube and embed a Simpson CBSQ base of the appropriate size for the wood post you will be using. Your wood post mounts in that base, is held an inch above any water or moisture, and the whole thing is code approved.

The other would be to use a painted STEEL post embedded in the concrete. (Steel doesn't rot. ) Slide about 12" of 1/2" rebar through the bottom of it horizontally, forming a 'tee", so that it can't move down. Above ground, box the steel post in with wood and make it LOOK like a wood post.

Old 01-27-06, 08:31 AM
Thanks much for the advice!