Wide Gate Reattachment

Old 01-27-06, 07:44 AM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Wide Gate Reattachment

Issue: Wood double gate has come unattached from post again (2nd time) due to poor construction by contractors. Need to (1) reattach to post either using 3 hings instead of 2 (my first thought) or to use different type of hinges.

Next (2) need to lessen center of gravity once gates are closed and find best way to do so. Read other postings regarding spring-loaded castors but not sure how it will work due to uneveness of ground (now mostly mud since constructions is over). So I need perhaps another idea on how to take the weight off the centers. Driveway will be installed at some future time but need to address this issue now.

Next (3) need to install a different latching system on gate. Gates stay closed 95% of time and are mainly used on trash day. Current latch doesn't keep gate closed and secure (security risk). Thinking of installing braces/brackets or whatever they're called on each side of gate and using piece of lumber to go across. (Similar to they way a barn door is closed or how they used to secure gates to forts.)

Any suggestions, ideas, guidance... Thanks.

Old 01-27-06, 07:13 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
UnderH20,

First, welcome to DoItYouself.com and the Fence forum.

What are the posts and how are they anchored, what are the gates, and what kind of hinges are we talking about? Can you give us pictures? (Post them on a site like Photobucket or Angelfire and post the URL.)

"...need to lessen the center of gravity..." I understand your thinking, but it's probably not doable.

Two hinges rather than three -- depends on what the hinges are. I'm guessing that you have some sort of a leaf hinge. Change that to a thru-bolted pin and collar hinge, and 2 will work just fine.

Latching-- a cane bolt on the gate that isn't used very often will secure it. A gravity latch at the center will keep the most used gate latched.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: