Remove Chain link fence - convert to wood

Old 01-28-06, 08:28 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Remove Chain link fence - convert to wood

I am planning on removing my chain link fence and would like to use the existing posts for a wood fence - are their products to convert the posts to wood (slide over/attach to, ect???) - is this a ridiculous idea??- any other advice - I really don't want to pull all the cemented posts out of this red clay. Any guideance would be greatly appreciated
Cheers

Old 01-28-06, 02:02 PM
Doable.

Lefty, (the moderator of this forum), has repeatedly mentioned one brand of hardware, suited to the task. (For the most part that brand is available internationally).

Another manfacturer, (within the chain link fence industry), exists in Hearne Texas. Since this manufacturer actually invented this type of fitting, they manufacture a wider selection in both fitting configurations and sizes (fittings that the competition lacks). They sell through chain link distributors (some maintain web stores).

Related suitable fittings are manufactured in India, China, and I believe, somewhere in New Zealand also.

Old 01-28-06, 06:29 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post

Haven't seen you around in a while. (DON'T be a stranger!!)

I have no problem with your Halco product, except it's awfully hard to come by around here. (Sorry -- it's dark, and I couldn't read the second part of the name on the hinges on MY gate hardware!!) I guess Simpson just has the corner on the market around here!!

Either will work, and will do a really good job. Pretty sure that we aren't "advertising" for either of them, so the 'suits' will forgive us for mentioning name brands.

emagrum -- There are several mfgrs. that make products to do exctly what you want to do. Simpson is one, Halco (Masters??) is another, and there are others. Whichever you can find locally.

Old 01-28-06, 08:04 PM
Lefty,
Halco isn't the manufacturer. As far as I know the only thing they manufacturer is galvanized chain link fabric. If it's not advertizing, see: Hearne Steels catalog on the web.

BTW, thanks for the invite. My absence was due to death in the family.

Old 01-29-06, 08:45 AM
T
I did the same thing a while back... but rather than spend $$ on specialized products, I simply drilled a hole through the piping - added a 2X4's vertically along the length of the posts (on "my" side of the property... ) and attached my horizontal stringers to that. As the "good" side of the fence faced my property... I wasn't too concerned about the view for my neighbors.......

Bad neighbor?? Guess it depends on your situation..........................

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: