How to Dispose of Old Fence?

Old 01-30-06, 04:07 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to Dispose of Old Fence?

I have not seen this addressed yet so allow me to ask this now.

I am thinking about installing my new fence myself. I have about 127 feet of fenceline, old wooden posts stuck in the ground with no cement and its starting to rot to the point that it all needs to be replaced. I think I know enough to replace the fence well enough, but I am not sure what to do with the old one.

I do not have a truck, so I cant haul it off. I suppose I could rent one for a day and make a few trips to the city dump.. do they take this type of stuff? It has even been suggested that I can leave it out on the curb for the trash trucks to take away for me but I am not so sure about that. Cant burn it either, I am sure there is a law against that.

Any easy ideas?

Old 01-30-06, 04:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
check with your trash collectors . here they will take bundled materils no longer than 4' and bundles need to be less than 40 lbs

I cut my old fence in half , bundeled it and put it by the curb .

Old 01-30-06, 05:14 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Was the fence ever painted or stained? Does it have any PT lumber in it?

Here, the City takes 'green waste' -- for a fee, of course, if you take it to them but it's less than the fee for garbage. Or, we can cut it into lengths less than 4' and fill a green barrel with it. That's 'free', but 125' of fence WOULD take months to get rid of 96 gallons at a time. As long as the wood isn't painted or stained and isn't PT, they grind it up and make compost out of it (which they turn around and sell for about $15/yd). Great for the City -- they charge me to bring the stuff in, and then charge me when I buy it back!! Call your local dump and see if they have some program like that.

You can rent a truck and DIY, or call one of the guys in the paper who do hauling.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: