Gaps at bottom of fence

Old 02-08-06, 06:29 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gaps at bottom of fence

I just had a cedar-based privacy fence installed for the sole purpose of retaining our small 15-pound min-pin and 67 pound boxer. The salesman assured me the pickets/planks would go to/close to the ground and not have any gaps that might allow the dog to get under the fence. Alas, there are large gaps and a construction crew working next door.

My question is this, what is the most cost-effective way of "filling" the gaps? The sales guy said white stone, but the gaps are too big. I thought about some time of metal "border" material that I could push/hammer down into the ground and then staple/nail to the pickets. I know that any wood-based barrier would rot. Any suggestions?

Old 02-09-06, 02:01 PM
F
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
decorative stones,(landscape boulders), planters, raised bed planters, cheap garden edging fence, retaining wall block formed into planters.

Old 02-09-06, 05:58 PM
P
Thank you

Thank you for the suggestions. I have approximately 200 linear feet to cover, so I am hoping to find the magic intersection of the following 4 dimensions:

Low installation requirements
Low maintenance
Not prohibitively expensive materials
Looks okay to good; i.e. not ugly

Decorative stone meets the maintenance and looks dimensions, but seems like it might be quite expensive. I will research what 200 linear feet of each material of sufficient height would cost.

Again, thank you for the reply

Old 02-09-06, 07:15 PM
use pressure treated 1x and plan on replacing them in 10 to 15 years

Old 03-04-06, 03:20 PM
B
Railroad ties... also calling the fence comapny that installed it and complaining. It's their job, not yours to fix that.

Call the BBB if it comes to that.

Old 03-04-06, 04:59 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
5/4 X 6 composite deck board. (Trex, WeatherBest, Rhino, etc.) 200', about $400, but you'll never have to replace it!! I would guess that PT 1X would be around $200, and who knows what it may cost in 15 years when you have to replace it.

Old 03-05-06, 11:48 AM
L
We had a fence installed last fall, chain link, it too was gapped realy bad at the bottom. SInce it was their job to do it correctly call them back and request them to fix the problem themselves. They may have to do each panel over or move the pickets and cut off from the bottom to be flush with the ground. you requested it be done to the ground they said we can do it. You paid for it. They need to do the job right.

If in the end they refuse to. I am thinking of 2 foot chicken while stapled to the base of the panels use a 1-by to cover the edges then with the remaining wire out the bottom, bury it under the ground. This way if they dig any at the fence they run into a "trap".

Gina...have 6 fur-kids

Old 03-09-06, 06:01 AM
G
gsr
How big of a gap?

How big are the gaps?

Sounds like the first thing you need to do is get the fencing company back to fix it they claimed gaps wouldn't be a problem it sounds like.

If that still doesn't work - last summer I had a 13+ ton (1 full dump truck) load of 1-2" river rock delivered for under $200, that allowed me to create a 1 1/2 - 2' wide boarder around my fence which is 450' long. I don't have to worry about gaps, I don't have to worry about the dogs digging through it and I don't have the hassle of trimming around the fence. I also put down plastic under the rocks to keep the weeds out and black edging to keep the rocks/grass seperate so my total cost was ~$400. Moving the rock was a lot of work but if you get some help it can go pretty quickly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: