Wire Fencing Recommendation

Old 02-21-06, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Wire Fencing Recommendation

I am building about a 800 foot perimeter fence around my property and plan on using standard post and wire. I've already begun sinking and cementing the corner posts, but am undecided on the type of wire to use. I am trying to pen in children and dogs(small to medium), so we're not talking heavy duty livestock, but I was unhappy with my previous fence at my old property and want to do it right this time. My catahoula consistantly climbed it and caused it to sag where he jumped over it, so I was hoping for something that could prevent that somewhat. Obviously, I am not expecting a perfect or pretty fence like I could get with Wood Picket etc., but I'd like it to look neat and professional.

I was thinking something 12.5 gauge but am unsure of whether to use standard wire mesh, welded wire, or the like. I've found several options and types of wire fence online, but have not found anything that really told me the downsides of some of the types, as opposed to how good it is!

Anyway, whatever help or recommendations you all could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-06, 12:42 PM
the best i've found is called horse fence. it resembles the 2x4 mesh from a distance, but the cross connections are wound instead of welded. this allows it to follow contours and it stretches tighter.
48" x 100' mfg part # 118157 180.00 retail. mfg is " bekaert " in my info, but i'm sure several others make the configuration.

Old 02-21-06, 05:53 PM
2X4 'no-climb' works well. Like flopshot pointed out, using twisted rather than welded allows you to follow slope contours.

Old 02-27-06, 06:26 AM
Question Bracing CPs and GPs

Thanks for the recommendations. Although I was unable to find that particular part number on the Bekaert site, I've found a lot of good information and options. Essentially, I now know what I want and what to look for.

Now for my next question, how would you all recommend bracing the CPs and GPs. I've heard that I can simply use 2x6's nailed to the outside as that will be good enough, however, I am cautious of the 'good enough' solutions as they tend not to be all that good. I've also seen an "H" style bracing where it appears there is another post set in the middle or at the top between the corner/gate and the bracing post. This looks more complex, but it is probably the way to go. What would you recommend? Also, would I need to use a 5-6" post as the bracing post or can I use the thinner ones I plan to use as the line posts?

Thanks again for the assistance!

Regards,
~CJ