installing fence on concrete slab?

Old 02-23-06, 04:26 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
installing fence on concrete slab?

I want to install a fence along the back of my driveway, which is a concrete slab. From what I've read, there's no brackets available that will support a 6 ft high fence. How hard is cutting into the existing concrete to anchor the posts? Something I can do myself or worth getting a professional to do? Thanks for the help

Old 02-23-06, 06:49 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
KWat44,

Welcome to DoItYourself.com and the Fence forum.

No, you don't want simply attach your posts to a concrete slab. The fence will blow down if you do that. You want to cut the concrete, dig holes, and embed the fence posts in those holes.

Cutting the concrete -- several options here. Depending on how many holes you are talking about cutting, you can buy a diamond concrete blade (about $75 to $100) that fits a Skilsaw and do it yourself, or you can rent a cutoff saw (about $75 to $100) and do it yoruself (faster), or you can look in the Yellow Pages and call a concrete cutting contractor and have them cut for about $150 -- depending on how many holes you are talking about -- fastest.

Old 03-04-06, 09:44 AM
B
You can attach fence posts to a concrete slab. It requires welding a plate to the base of your posts, drilling a hole in each corner of the plate. Then use a hammer drill to drill holes in the concrete matching the holes in the plate. Then, simply hammer in anchors, tighten bolts and you're done.

Another option is core drilling. Core drilling machine are expensive, but I am sure your local fence company could do it for you for a fee. After the holes are core drilled, simply use a fast setting hydraulic cement such as Garonite, apply fittings, stretch and tie in.

Old 03-04-06, 10:20 AM
L
If it were a rail fence, you could redhead it to the slab as bigperm is suggesting. But if it's a solid panel fence, you don't to do that. A few strong winds will blow it down and tear up the concrete in the area where the fence posts are anchored to it.

Core drilling is certainly an option, but it would cost less to simply cut the conctete to dig the holes to set the posts in.

Old 03-04-06, 03:17 PM
B
I just assumed it was standard chain link fence.

The original poster didn't specify.

Old 03-04-06, 04:54 PM
L
bigperm,

KWat44 did kinda leave us guessing, didn't he (or she). I was thinking panel, like a wood fence. Never gave chain link a thought. But sure, the wind resistance of chain link is pretty minimal -- no reason that couldn't be redheaded down.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: