Hardiplank/fence

Old 02-26-06, 09:30 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hardiplank/fence

Has anyone used 6" hardiplank for fence pickets? I am considering using on a 6' high shadow box fence with 3 or 4 2x4 syp-pt rails with an 8' post to post dimension. Is it strong enough or will it break too easily? Also will the Hardiplank stain ok?

Last edited by broot; 02-26-06 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-27-06, 02:03 AM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Hardiplank is designed to run horizontally, attached to studs that are vertical and sitting on a solid plate.

What you have in mind would run the planks vertically on unsupported that run horizontally.

The rails will sag.

Old 02-27-06, 07:57 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Additional Information

Thanks for the reply, Lefty. Now lets suppose the rails are 2 x 6's and the saging problem goes away. What then? Or how about using the Hardiplank in a horizontal basket weave around vertical 2 x 4's. I realize the bending would need to be very mild. In my opinion wood fence looks very poor in a short period of time. I'm looking for something that won't be splitting, warping and turning gray quickly. Maybe I could use concrete stain.

Old 02-27-06, 05:40 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
broot,

I understand what you are trying to accomplish and why. But even going to 2X6 rails isn't going to make much difference -- they are still going to sag. It'll just take a few months longer!!

Another thought that just might work. Set the posts, then pour a concree footing (4" deep and 6" wide) between them, then let the bottom of the Hardieplank fence boards rest on that. Now they are supported and can't cause the rails to sag. A plus is that it makes it very easy to mow or weedeat right up to the fence without damaging the fence boards!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: