Wood fence and removable sections...

Old 02-28-06, 07:56 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Got another question for you all. My original plan when building my fence was to extend out 32' from each end of the house, and put at least a 10' double gate ( 5' & 5') up on each side to allow vehicle entry, if necessary. Really, the only reason I have for putting up one of those is to allow for access should we ever have a problem with the septic tank and need to get a truck or machinery to it. Hopefully, that won't ever be an issue, but I'm just trying to think ahead.

Now, I'm contemplating going with one 10' double swing gate and, for the side that would access the septic tank, going with something that would allow me to easily remove and replace the fence panels. Removing the panels, no problem. The posts would be another story.

My first question is, what could I do to set it up where the posts could be removed easily? If everything is anchored in ground with concrete, are there any products out there that are made for this purpose, brackets or otherwise? One thought I had, was, maybe in the process of pouring the concrete, setting metal tubing in the concrete 2' or 3' down as a sleeve so that the line posts could easily slide in and out if I needed to remove them. Would something like that work, or would it be too shifty?

Opinions are always appreciated. So are better ideas. Thanks.

Last edited by champdog; 02-28-06 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-01-06, 05:40 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Stay with the gates. It's a whole lot easier to SWING 300 lbs. on hinges than it is to lift it.

Old 03-01-06, 06:34 PM

Lefty is right - stick with a gate IF you expect to open up.

Sleeves in concrete do not work unless it is a frequently used application. Because you need clearance, the fit will be sloppy and the fence can move or rattle.

Dirt and critters will get into the sleeve. How do you get it clean enough to put the post back in?

Dick

Old 03-02-06, 06:48 AM
C
Thanks for the opinions, guys. I'll probably stick with the gate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: