Turn 4 foot fence into 6 foot fence

Old 03-22-06, 02:01 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Turn 4 foot fence into 6 foot fence

I have a 4 foot picket fance and now I want more privacy so I want to convert it to a 6 foot fence with boards. It is about 45 feet long and there are 8 posts (4x4). But the posts are only 4 feet high... But, they are already set up, so Id like to use them (save time and money)

What Im thinking is to leave the posts and replace the pickets with boards up to the 4 foot height. Then, run 2x4s horizontaly, along the top of the posts. Then attach 1.5 or 2 feet of lattice on top of the 2x4.

I know that, normally, you would install the posts to a 6 foot height and put the lattice in between the posts. Id have to sister a 2x4 to the back of each post and run it 2 feet above the top of the 4x4 to make the post 6 feet.

My concern is that I would also be relying on screwing the new, horizontal 2x4 into the end grain of the 4x4. Will this be very loose? will it loosen in time?

Old 03-22-06, 08:01 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
A joint in the post is going to be the weakest link, and the lattice panels will just get blown off.

The BEST solution would be to replace the posts.

The next best would be to sister 2X4's on each side of the post, from the bottom all the way to the top that you want the new height to be. Add a 4X4 block on top of the existing post and have the 2X4 sisters encase that. That means you'll have to remove the existing panels to get the sisters in, and shorten the rails of the existing panels.

Old 03-23-06, 06:05 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,165 Votes on 1,123 Posts
I would replace as well. Lefty gave you a good alternative to this, but the end result is going to be darn near as much work and probably a less satisfying result than simply replacing.

Old 03-23-06, 07:39 AM
R
Well, the holes are already dug out. SO Id be wasting money, but not time in digging, I guess..

I had another post about addin a second fence behind my picket fence - just a couple of feet behind. This second fence would be all lattice. So I would put posts in, and use full pieces of privacy lattice. How do you think that would be visually? A 4 foot picket with a lattice fence behind it. I THINK it could look good.. very "Japanese Graden"ish, but Im not sure. Any thoughts on that?

Old 03-23-06, 07:46 AM
R
this response should have been first but...

What I was explainng was sistering a 2x4 like you said BUT I was thinking just to sister one in the back (not one on each side like you suggested) from bottom to the new height. The sister would be 6 feet long, and only 2 feet would be sticking out the top. Then, the lattice can be attached to the 2 feet sticking out. Do you think that would be too weak, and the lattice could get blown off?

Old 03-23-06, 07:23 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Either sister both sides, or replace the posts.

Old 03-23-06, 08:58 PM
R
Why is that neccessary? Im really trying to understand. It seems that a 2x4 sticking up an additional 2 feet isnt so much. And a 2x4 is a pretty decent chunk of wood. I cant see it warping too much (a few of my 4x4s warped anyway, the treated stuff which is what Im using always warps terribly on me. Its saturated when it comes from Home Depot).

Is it a strength issue? If its 6 feet long and 4 feet of that is screwed to a 4x4, i cantsee it breaking. Certainly not from wind. Could it?

What is the reasoning for sister both sides as the ony suitable way?

I really want to avoid new posts just because of the work. Even though the holes are dug, Id still need to re-level, notch out for my 2x4 horizontal pieces, etc.

And sistering both sides SEEMS like overkill - and would probably look like a patch job.

Could I sister with 3/4 inch board if I did both sides?

Old 03-24-06, 05:49 AM
I would be concrened about post depth also , the current ones may start leaning due to the extra load on them

Old 03-24-06, 06:43 AM
R
I dont think Im too concerned about that. I used 8 footers, so they are 4 feet in the ground now. Thats pretty good right?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: