convert 4' metal posts to 6' metal posts

Old 03-24-06, 06:41 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
convert 4' metal posts to 6' metal posts

I have a standard 4' chain link fence with metal posts set in concrete. I would like to convert this to a 6' wood fence using metal posts. What is the best method to utilize the existing posts and extend them to fit the 6' wood fence? I have considered getting larger diameter pipe and putting that over the existing posts. Could I use bolts run through the two posts at intervals of say 2' to secure the outer sleeve to the existing post? Would I be better off to just move over a short distance and install new posts with concrete?

Old 03-25-06, 02:07 PM
B
Question to ask yourself. Is this solid fence going to be subject to the wind? i.e. it's out in the open, and not protected by the house. The reason for the question, is I have seen the posts in my neighbor get bent by the wind. This is because they used the cheapest polls from H.D. I would use the heavy gauge polls.

As for making them longer, I have not found any pipes that have a bell on one end to slip over, like the rail pipe is made. I suspect a muffler pipe shop could, but at what cost? Next is welding on some lengths of pipe. Ok that sounds like a bad idea welding galvanized metal. There is a muffler shop about a block from the house, I will ask. If it's cheap like $5
or
http://www.yourfencestore.com/slats/slat8.asp

Old 03-27-06, 09:34 AM
J
Thanks for your comments. The fence is very well protected. It is on an alley and there are tall fences all arround it. It does sound like the smart thing if to just move over a foot or two and set new posts. I was just thinking about just getting a pipe with an ID greater than the OD of the existing posts and slipping it over the existing one. However, that probably means that the clamps for affixing the rails to the posts wouldn't fit. As the posts are on the outside of the fence, there are certainly no asthetic reasons to not set new posts. Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: