pickets, screws, and sealant questions

Old 03-25-06, 04:17 PM
LeakyHouse
Visiting Guest
pickets, screws, and sealant questions

I am replacing a broken down wooden fence. I live in san antonio texas. I had planned on using pressure treated pine pickets, but my new neighbor (who is also replacing his fence) wants to do cedar and since he will split the cost for materials on the side we share, Iím inclined to go along. The pickets he showed me were white, not reddish like other cedar pickets I have seen. The neighbor tells me itís naturally resistant and does not need to be sealed or treated with any products. My questions are :

1) Are these white cedar pickets better? (only about 20 cents more per picket so if any better Iíll probably buy them. )
2) Is it true they are naturally resistant? Would some product be a good idea? If so which one and how much do I need to buy (per foot of 6 foot fence)? Iíd like to keep costs down somewhat so if its not worth the doe I probably will not apply a product.
3) Neighbor is nailing his together with a hammer. Neither of us have a nail gun, Iím thinking Iíll use my drill and some deck mate screws. Life is too short to whack away at fence all day with a hammer. Any thoughts?

Old 03-25-06, 06:06 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
LeakyHouse,

"Any thoughts?"

Well of course I have thoughts!!

You are right in screwing it. Banging away on a fence with a hammer is gonna take longer and it just won't hold.

"Naturally resistant" -- that means it'll just take the fence boards longer to rot, as compared to somthing like doug fir. And if they aren't sealed or painted, they'll rot in 10 years rather than 5 if they are in contact with the dirt.

Old 03-26-06, 02:55 PM
LeakyHouse
Visiting Guest
follow up on sealant

So the pickets should last 10 years without being treated. How much better will they wear if I applied something like Superdeck? Or is the difference more of a cosmetic one with the product having little or no effect on the lifespan of the materials?

Any idea on how much of the stuff Ill have to use for a six foot fence 60 feet long? Thanks a bunch for the input.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: